GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Discover pro 8 inch retrofit

kubo777

There are slight differences in tuning frequencies in Europe and NA. Quick search shows that North American FM broadcast channels are on the odd 200KHz frequencies: 99.5MHz, 100.1MHz, etc. In Europe, channels can be on any multiple of 100KHz, even or odd. AM broadcasts Same for AM, the difference is 10 kHz steps in the US vs. 9 kHz steps in Europe.
Read more at: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/radio/radio_differences.html

Maybe it has something to do with that.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
That’s more likely than just the label on the button.

Thanks for the info!

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
There are slight differences in tuning frequencies in Europe and NA. Quick search shows that North American FM broadcast channels are on the odd 200KHz frequencies: 99.5MHz, 100.1MHz, etc. In Europe, channels can be on any multiple of 100KHz, even or odd. AM broadcasts Same for AM, the difference is 10 kHz steps in the US vs. 9 kHz steps in Europe.
Read more at: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/radio/radio_differences.html

Maybe it has something to do with that.

That's exactly what it is. When I was at BMW, we had several cars come through that had been European-delivery, and one of the steps before the customer picked it back up from us was to set the radio to NAR mode.

kingkhan

Ready to race!
That's exactly what it is. When I was at BMW, we had several cars come through that had been European-delivery, and one of the steps before the customer picked it back up from us was to set the radio to NAR mode.
Will this be an issue though just for the screen? I'd imagine all the brains are in the mib system in the glovebox.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Will this be an issue though just for the screen? I'd imagine all the brains are in the mib system in the glovebox.

Good question. If the unit is only a display and controls, then it shouldn't matter, assuming that one works with the other. If there is some setting in the screen unit that must be changed, I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to recode.

Max Schnell

Ready to race!
I think it may be simply that the NAR unit top left button says “BAND” whereas the ROW units say “RADIO” or something similar depending on the language of the country code.

This is exactly what it is, one of the other buttons is labelled differently also, maybe INFO vs TRAFFIC or similar. I did the retrofit almost a year ago, i just can't be bothered to go out to the garage and have a look :)

The screen purely acts as a display and input unit, no more, all the brains are in the unit in the glovebox. The pixel count is the same for the 8" as the 6.5" screen hence the simplicity of the swap.

ofektal12

Ready to race!
so did you just replace the screen? without replacing the thing in the glove box? is that even possible?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
It's possible if you already have MIB2. If you have a 14 mk7 golf you likely have mib1 and the only way for you to get an 8" screen is to go with the mib2 swap (meaning swap out the brain in the glovebox).

ofektal12

Ready to race!
It's possible if you already have MIB2. If you have a 14 mk7 golf you likely have mib1 and the only way for you to get an 8" screen is to go with the mib2 swap (meaning swap out the brain in the glovebox).
oh then thats not worth, its like 2000$ [emoji852]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

nype

Drag Racing Champion
So I ended up going with a screen / bezel combo from Eurozone Tuning. Good Black Friday deal.

The package arrived in just a few days. Packaging and product condition was excellent.

Bill from Eurozone was more quicker to respond to ALL of my questions than any other vendor that I have dealt with. We are talking a few minutes. Seriously, I am extremely impressed with the level of customer service that I received here.

As was noted in this thread, or maybe it was the linked install thread, I lost a clip inside the dash when removing the stock bezel. Local dealership had them (PN: 3B0867190) for $2 each. Other than that, the trickiest part was installing the new bezel. Make note that the bottom has hooks that need to go behind the trim piece surrounding the climate controls. This lower trim piece should be nice and loose all the way across before you position the new bezel in place.

Once again, I highly recommend Eurozone Tuning if you’re looking to do this upgrade.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Does anyone have a p/n for a non nav unit and MIB II?

I’ve searched a lot and can not come up with it. Thanks!

Just purchased one for my GSW:

Display 7C0 919 606

Brushed silver trim (Golf S, SE) 5G1 819 743 (won't work for GTI, obviously)