GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Military (active?) discount, $500 ?

Flexmoney

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I'm in the market for a 17 Sport with DSG. I've been reading up on the good info here. I'm in Columbus, Ohio. A flight to the DC area isn't out of the question, at ~ $121, and and extra 4-5 hrs of return driving, and say...$40 in fuel.

From reading here, I am aware of the the VW Partner program (an extra $500 off). I'm not sure about the military discount?

Does anybody have some insight on the military discount? Is that a corporate VW deal (that I can read about someplace)? Is it just for Active Duty, or can I get the discount as a Veteran? USAA Insurance?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
explain further on this please

Forgive me; I work in the industry and often forget that we speak to each other in jargon.

Unlike bonus cash, consumer/customer cash, holiday cash, etc, dealer cash is an incentive paid by the car manufacturer to the dealer, whenever they sell a particular car. These programs are never advertised to the public, and the dealer has the option to pass on some of the cash to the buyer to sweeten the deal, which is why it's common for people to purchase cars for less than dealer invoice if they know how to negotiate.

So, for the month of November, every dealer that sells a GTI will get $3500 from VW, provided that it is a cash sale, 3rd-party/bank financed, or is financed by VW Credit at their standard APR (so if you wanted to take advantage of the 0% APR that they're offering this month, the dealer cash would not be available).

Many dealers factor the dealer cash into their advertised prices, so when you see them offering a car for $2,000 off MSRP, they're giving you the $2,000 and keeping $1,500 for themselves, plus whatever bonuses are available at the time, based on sales volume, sales targets, etc. If you already know that there's $3500 coming from VW, get a loan from your local credit union (always the best rates) and negotiate a price based on you taking all $3500. Most dealers will do it, because they're still going to net a decent profit from the sale with the other incentive cash they're getting. In my case, I combined the supplier program ($1,800 off MSRP/$500 under invoice) with the $3,500 dealer cash, and they threw in another $1000 in market allowance to make up for the difference in trade-in offers on my old car, and I drove off with a pretty good deal.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Care to share where you work? (just curious)

Our company supplies software and data products to several thousand car dealers and 3rd-party websites. Technically, this is privileged information that I'm not supposed to be sharing, so I can't say more than that.

If you're in the business, you've almost certainly heard of or done business with one of our many brands/companies.