GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beating a dead horse; going stage II worth $2700?

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
The peak numbers don't tell the whole story. Fatter power band and quicker spool times as well. The intercooler also helps you maintain power over multiple pulls or driving in warm weather.

FlyGTI2

Ready to race!
The peak numbers don't tell the whole story. Fatter power band and quicker spool times as well. The intercooler also helps you maintain power over multiple pulls or driving in warm weather.

So if it creates a fatter power bands with quicker spool times then it will affect daily driving experience, that’s what I was needing to hear other than peak numbers.

FlyGTI2

Ready to race!
If I go with;
CTS DP with cat it is $739 + APR Stage II is $199 = $939.00

VS

APR DP is $900.00

So it’s about the same!

Last edited:

Johnpaul

Ready to race!
I own a manual GTI, but everything I've read has said get any TCU tune BUT APR.

There's no reason not to mix and match ECU, TCU, and hardware.

CTS makes a high quality dp for considerably less than APR

IE makes the best Intercooler for the same or less

Intake is debatable, but there's tons of options for less than APR, especially if you're open to buying used

APR isn't perfect, but their TCU tune is good by most accounts. Wolf used an APR TCU tune after his Unitronics TCU tune started to slip and Revnstep is using an APR TCU tune after having some difficulties with a different TCU tune.

USA

Ready to race!
Went APR stage 1 two days ago, but this what I’m in a pickle over;
Stage 1 = 357 HP/366 trq ...$$799 plus $105 installation...........total $905.00

What I bought for $905 is +67 HP/87 FT LBS

To go stage 2;
Stage 2 = free with APR DP
Downpipe...........$899
APR Intercooler...$899
TCU Tune...........$699 plus install est $75
............................................................................................total $2500
...................................................................................Grand total $3500

What I’ll get for $2500 is +96 HP/122 FT-LBS

SO.....is it worth going the additional $2500 for 29 HP/35FT LBS

Flame on....

Edited already, I forgot they recommend their intake at around $650
For me the Stage 2 is not worth the $$$ this is why I went from Stage 1 directly to Stage 3. Much much better bang for you $$$. But now I want Stage 5 so get ready.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
But you need the intercooler and downpipe and tcu tune anyway when going big turbo.

FlyGTI2

Ready to race!
Here’s an update;
Went APR high torque Stage II today but not the TCU, listening to others I’m breaking up the costs and here’s the plan. I’ll not do any hard launches til I get a TCU tune from UM and a IE intercooler by spring......and my original question was “is it worth it”.

Drumroll please.....

The cars pulls so much harder than I thought it would, where I normally was hitting 60 it was now hitting 70. Actually was shocked at the difference.

Would I recommend Stage II....absolutely!

Next task; to the track and the dyno

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Here’s an update;
Went APR high torque Stage II today but not the TCU, listening to others I’m breaking up the costs and here’s the plan. I’ll not do any hard launches til I get a TCU tune from UM and a IE intercooler by spring......and my original question was “is it worth it”.

Drumroll please.....

The cars pulls so much harder than I thought it would, where I normally was hitting 60 it was now hitting 70. Actually was shocked at the difference.

Would I recommend Stage II....absolutely!

Next task; to the track and the dyno

If you think the gains are large now, wait until you can take advantage of full torque. The Stock TCU is holding you back quite a bit.

A lot of guys don't see stage 2 being a huge upgrade until they force themselves to take the plunge. They're happy they did it.

Glad to hear you're liking it. :D

FlyGTI2

Ready to race!
Hard launces? It's not just launces that are going to fry your clutches. Get a TCU tune now.

Hello Fed,
Another stage II R3 owner down here had the TCU on his wife’s car and on his car. He said it was slowly killing his tranny’s. He had the TCU removed. He’s been running at Tucson Dragway for awhile with no issues.

My installer keeps saying people are taking it off after a couple weeks and does not recommend it. Interesting how his take on it makes him less money.

Give me your thoughts and experience with and without.

T.

Last edited:

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
Man these cars are cheap for big horse power gains! Without going FI: my old FR-S required like $3500 for a e85 tune and full intake/exhaust system to bump the power from 170 wheel HP to 200 wheel HP. $3500 for 30 HP and like 15 TQ !

FlyGTI2

Ready to race!
I had no idea either, I did some research seen what others are saying, VW had left a lot of room on the table in the GTI/Golf R. They respond to tunes very well. There are lot of VW dealers that are installers as well, like is one.

https://www.mckinneyvw.com

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Hello Fed,
Another stage II R3 owner down here had the TCU on his wife’s car and on his car. He said it was slowly killing his tranny’s. He had the t u removed. He’s been running at Tucson Dragway for awhile with no issues.

My installer keeps saying people are taking it off after a couple weeks and does not recommend it. Interesting how his take on it makes him less money.

Give me your thoughts and experience with and without.

T.

TCU tunes are NOT frying DSGs. If anything, stock TCU programming is so bad that it is causing damage to the trans. Stock DSG is abysmal. It's so rough, and constantly confused, and falls on its face.