GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best dealer for Golf R purchase?

Born_Into_This

Ready to race!
Car(s)
18 R
Hey everyone,

Trying to find an R for a decent price, dealers in my area offer very little incentive to buy from them. Would much rather take a nice road trip and get a good deal:cool:

I remember seeing $5k off from certain dealers(though I can't find the threads now...), hoping others will share their experience!

Thanks

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Not sure about good deal but I can give you a Sales Person who is great to work with if you want a road trip South for the winter. Dealer in Chattanooga. Village VW. Ask for Lynn Wood. She will be up front on pricing and she understand customer service.
PM me for my name if you want to tell her who suggested her.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I bought my mk7 GTI '17 last Sunday. I asked the dealer about Type Rs because there weren't any in the lot. He said each dealer only sells about 9 a year.

ubermick

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
So got this from one of the three dealers I'm in contact with regarding getting a 2018 R:

"I have been with VW since 2010. Golf R have $3k-$10k mark up. I have never seen a dealer sell a Golf R less then $2k over MSRP unless it was Pre-Ordered. This is one model that is always sold out before the end of Spring and is typically released in Dec. They over make 5,000 in the US production."

Curious that this bloke claims he's "never" seen an R go for less than $2k *over* MSRP. (Suuuuuurely it's not a tactic to get me to come in and put down a deposit on one, could it?!?!)

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
So got this from one of the three dealers I'm in contact with regarding getting a 2018 R:

"I have been with VW since 2010. Golf R have $3k-$10k mark up. I have never seen a dealer sell a Golf R less then $2k over MSRP unless it was Pre-Ordered. This is one model that is always sold out before the end of Spring and is typically released in Dec. They over make 5,000 in the US production."

Curious that this bloke claims he's "never" seen an R go for less than $2k *over* MSRP. (Suuuuuurely it's not a tactic to get me to come in and put down a deposit on one, could it?!?!)

Aren't you in SF? He's probably 100% truthful. The one in Hayward went for 50k . You have to pay to play in the Bay Area.

ubermick

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
Aren't you in SF? He's probably 100% truthful. The one in Hayward went for 50k . You have to pay to play in the Bay Area.

Yeah, north of, in Sonoma County. That said, don't care where you live, if you pay $50k for one you're either crazy, desperate, or has money to burn!!! From what I've seen from other buyers out of state, they can be had for as much as $2,500 *under* MSRP - just above invoice - elsewhere. Be far smarter to fly out and buy it out of state, and just road trip it back. (Although for me, the problem is leasing, which I'm still trying to figure out if it can be done out of state.)

ubermick

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
Some Dealers are weird with r’s. VW Palm Springs wouldn’t even let me test drive one. Had a check in my pocket too...
Am sure there are some dealers out there, especially the ones who are marking their cars up, who are getting tired of people coming in, test driving, and then shopping around. They probably get the "boy racer" types who have no intention of buying, just want to drive one for a bit. But that's the cost of doing business.

The whole 2017/2018 R thing is weird in general. Per their sales numbers, VW sold 204 Golf Rs in September 2016, but just 71 this September. Inventory is obviously WAY down from the 2016 MY. At the moment, cars.com is showing just a handful of 2017s left in the USA - something like 20 - meaning that for the 2017 model year, there will be less than 3,000 sold here. (There were over 3,100 sold by the end of September last year)

So super tight inventory coupled with everyone waiting for the 2018 anyways - 7 speed, digital dash, better MPG, the massively improved warranty - means the whole thing is complete gridlock. VW wants to clear out all remaining inventory, but customers want the new models.

Still think it's more down to the standard Golf and GTI though. Just still SO many 2017s out there on lots that dealers are trying to get rid of.

jlivingood

Passed Driver's Ed
Still think it's more down to the standard Golf and GTI though. Just still SO many 2017s out there on lots that dealers are trying to get rid of.

I think you are probably correct. Certainly 3,000 units for the R will not make their decision - it is all about clearing out the 2017 GTIs and Golfs. But what did they expect when the warranty for the 2018s is so much better - that alone will make the average Golf/GTI buyer wait it out. It seems like they really need to blow them out via a special end of model year deal and be done with it. There's a lot of pent up demand but some of that is very soon going elsewhere to other marques.