GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Walnuts Kill Worker

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Canadian members - doesn't your Socialized medicine pay for Epi-pens "just in case"? Hard to believe this guy didn't carry one.

A Canadian man's nut allergy apparently proved fatal after he performed air quality tests at a building where walnut shells were being used to blast paint off the walls. On Oct. 2, Justin Mathews, 33, spent roughly 20 minutes inside an Edmonton fire station where a walnut-based sandblasting product was in use before complaining that he couldn't breathe, report the CBC and National Post. Mathews—who had always been very cautious about his allergy, according to his family—then went into anaphylactic shock and collapsed, his mom says. He was taken off life support five days after arriving at University of Alberta Hospital, where doctors determined he'd suffered damage to 80% of his brain, reports the National Post.

Advanced Remediation Solutions, which performed the sandblasting, says nut oils are removed during processing of walnut-based products that have been used in sandblasting for a decade without causing allergic reactions.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
I used to work with that guy, a long long time ago. He was an awesome dude. It's so tragic that this happened.

And it highlights just what a huge risk using nut shells for blasting medium is. What if this was happening outdoors?

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I used to work with that guy, a long long time ago. He was an awesome dude. It's so tragic that this happened.

And it highlights just what a huge risk using nut shells for blasting medium is. What if this was happening outdoors?

My guess is if this happened outside it wouldn't be nearly as bad for people with allergies since it can dissipate unlike indoors where it's trapped

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I don’t understand how a fire station didn’t have an epi pen. They are first responders

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Not sure if now but the Army used Walnut shells for sand blasting tanks being repainted. The walnut did not affect special armor plating.

Not everyone knows they react to such items.
My College Football Coach chocked and died in a hotel room while on a recruiting trip after eating peanuts. A very nice guy.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Completely inappropriate, but first thought reading this was