GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Here's What All of the Buzz is About

TastyPancakes

Ready to race!
So the purpose of my post today is to throw out a small PSA to those of you that are currently dealing with or may at some point come across an issue that I have experienced recently.

My story begins with me installing my AWE DP, pairing it with my track catback that I have had on for about 6 months or so. I knew the volume level and drone would increase but I wasn't too concerned as I don't DD my car. For the first 100 miles or so, all is well. Foot on the loud petal, car screams, pure engine and exhaust noise, couldn't be happier.

But at a certain point, a buzzing sound from the rear end of the car develops at around 2.1k - 2.4k rpm's. It happens upon acceleration through that range, a quick blip of buzzing during upshifts, and is less audible but still present @ WOT around 4.5k.

So I start my investigation in the back of the car, tapping and flicking anything that i think might be the culprit. I remove my license plate frame and tighten the two screws on the license plate. Still there. I remove all of the trim panels on the hatch and take it for a drive. Still there. I check the spare tire compartment for anything loose and remove any tools/spare parts that I have stored inside. Still there. I remove the rear deck lid and drop the rear seats down. Still.There.

I finally decide to jack the car up and take a look underneath, even though I swear the noise is coming from higher up in the car (like in the rear hatch). At this point I am hoping it is not the fuel line issue, as I would need to take it into the dealer and would most likely remove my DP & Jb4 which I was not really prepared to do. However, the first piece that I tap on is the suitcase muffler heat shield.

5 minutes later....

Took it out for a drive and there is no more buzzing! With the track exhaust installed there is really not a lot of direct heat being blasted onto the area that the heat shield covered, so I don't foresee any issues with it not being there.

So when in doubt, rip that bitch out.

Anyone else have/had any similar issues after installing a louder exhaust? If so, mind sharing what your buzz or rattle was/is and how you went about resolving it? I searched around before tackling the issue but didn't find much concerning a buzz or any noises in the rear of the car due to increased exhaust noise, so maybe we can collect some common issues and solutions to help those out who may be experiencing this issue or may come across it in the future.

Cheers!

TastyPancakes

Ready to race!
Was peaking at this and didn't see a way to get out without dropping muffler. Was it that easy?

If you have the OEM suitcase or a CBE with mufflers in this area, I would say yes, you have to drop the exhaust to get to the heat shield. With the AWE CB, there is plenty of room to use brute force and rip the shield out and bend it around the piping, it is surprisingly thin and bends really easily.

TastyPancakes

Ready to race!
Heard same thing after CSS muffler install.
Identicied it also by thumping in it.
Did not remove as I did not want to introduce heat.
I must be getting used to it as I do jot notice now.

FYI - I like pancakes also!

They are THE ideal way to start the day.

I understand your hesitation to remove it with the CSS muffler. Because of the design and the large heat-laden surface area that the CSS muffler would introduce to the underside of the car, the heat shield most likely offers some protection. I felt it was safe to remove because there is enough air circulation in that area with a full sized muffler removed, and the Y-pipe being the only thing in that area giving off heat. This is part of the reason I made the thread, to see if anyone has removed the shield while continuing to run a larger muffler and reporting any adverse effects if any.

Hunter's_MK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Does it unbolt out to come out or does you gave to rip it up?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TastyPancakes

Ready to race!
Does it unbolt out to come out or does you gave to rip it up?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It is held on using metal locking star washers, I'm sure there is a way to get them off in on piece and without violence but if that is the case then I had neither the tools or the patience to do so. The shield itself is pretty flimsy and a replacement piece can't cost more that $25, well worth it to me to get rid of the noise.

If anyone has input on removing these washers properly I'm all ears, I just chose to do it this way.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
I have ripped out headshields out on many cars and have ever had a single issue with extra heat getting into the cabin. Especially in the rear like that.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
I am 99% sure this is what is causing the same issue for me since my muffler delete. Looks like I'll be taking this off when I do my wheel spacers.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I took mine off about 20,000 miles ago when I added my dp, there’s pics and threads where we’ve discussed it a few times. Zero negative effects, rip it off and toss it...especially since I also wasn’t careful removing it then just balled it up for good measure lol

It’s a bit of a bandaid tho, once you take your car on a long highway drive the drone will be more annoying than you originally noticed in the first 100 miles.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
After reading this before, and now it being confirmed again by a separate person, I'm just going to remove that heat shield while doing my muffler delete this spring. Get it done all at the same time and hopefully avoid any major drone/vibration issues.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I have wondered if there is a way to reinforce this piece to help it vibrate less.
If it had bends at the edge to stiffen it, I think it would vibrate less. Being a flat sheet of metal it can vibrate easily. I will be under back end later this month so will look at it some. One thought was a sheet metal crimping tool on the edges to see if it would add stiffness.