GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

90 octane tunes

bbanville

Hi kinda new here, thought this would be a good place to go for some knowledge. I have a 2015 GTI autobahn with the DSG it is stock right now but I am currently in search of a good tune to unlock some potential. I am only looking for stage 1/1+ type of tune something along the lines of eurodyne or apt. I have also just found out about OTS Cobb tunes that has me pretty intrigued because I like the other features you get along with the Cobb such as the dials and data it can display. The trouble is i currently reside in Anchorage Alaska and the best gas I have seen so far is 90 octane, and I don't really care to mess around with octane boosters. So would it be ok to run with a 91 tune? Or is there any hidden gems for this dilemma? Thanks in advance.

jcarl126

Ready to race!
Hi kinda new here, thought this would be a good place to go for some knowledge. I have a 2015 GTI autobahn with the DSG it is stock right now but I am currently in search of a good tune to unlock some potential. I am only looking for stage 1/1+ type of tune something along the lines of eurodyne or apt. I have also just found out about OTS Cobb tunes that has me pretty intrigued because I like the other features you get along with the Cobb such as the dials and data it can display. The trouble is i currently reside in Anchorage Alaska and the best gas I have seen so far is 90 octane, and I don't really care to mess around with octane boosters. So would it be ok to run with a 91 tune? Or is there any hidden gems for this dilemma? Thanks in advance.

Sounds to me like you need to go the euro dyno maestro or cobb plus protune route, just tell who ever is doing the tune you will be running 90 octane and they will get you set from there. Try your best to get top tier fuel, as well. I wouldn't run any 91 tunes, but I also prefer to play it a bit safe. The car will adjust for knock cause by fuel, but you'll feel it pull power on its own and will drive you nuts! You're correct in not messing with octane bolsters, they're pretty useless, you'd have to add 5 bottles a tank or something silly to make a difference.

bbanville

What kind of gains can be expected from the maestro eurodyne package? Also what sort of boost levels would be a safe starting point? I am pretty new to the game.

jcarl126

Ready to race!
What kind of gains can be expected from the maestro eurodyne package? Also what sort of boost levels would be a safe starting point? I am pretty new to the game.

You’d be running essentially a stage 1 with bone stock car and engine tune, just me...I’d put in a DP and air filter mods then just go to a strange 2 car. Not sure about the maestro power, but I saw a 16 dsg car with ED maestro put down like 304whp yesterday and awesome torque, guy tuned it himself, stage 2 was very impressive. Thtas on 93, probably looking bout 5-10 hp less for lower oct

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
If you throw a stage 1 tune on it will still provide some increase in power and be completely safe. Although you have a lower octane fuel you do have the advantage most of the year of having very chilly ambient air temps which provides more oxygen dense air and the cold temps help prevent some amount of knock.

If you want to increase the octane of your fueling a good way to do it is with a water/methanol system. In Calif we have 91 octane fuel but I have run a 100oct race file for the last 4 years with zero timing retard by adding a water meth system. So you can run any tune you want with 91,92,93 or 100oct fuel requirements even if all you have is 90 at the pump. I was running about 340whp on my K04 MKV.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
OP if you're looking at Cobb, why not spend a little more and go protune?

At least that way the tune is custom tailored to the fuel you are using.

bbanville

Hoon I wasn't really able to find any protuners in my area but I did a little more digging today and think I may have found a few and sent them some emails so we will see where that goes. On the meth kit it's a little more in depth than I'd like to go at this point want to keep it close to stock just a stage 1 tune for now, maybe later on down the road though. I don't know how crazy I want to go with this car as I'd like to eventually get an R but I'm gonna start with a stage 1 and see where it takes me.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Hoon I wasn't really able to find any protuners in my area but I did a little more digging today and think I may have found a few and sent them some emails so we will see where that goes. On the meth kit it's a little more in depth than I'd like to go at this point want to keep it close to stock just a stage 1 tune for now, maybe later on down the road though. I don't know how crazy I want to go with this car as I'd like to eventually get an R but I'm gonna start with a stage 1 and see where it takes me.

Understood, but keep in mind these cars have a factory wideband and excellent knock sensors...so you can get a great tune from someone across the globe.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

It's not unusual for gas to be higher or lower octane than advertised. The only way to be sure is to have it tested or test it yourself. I would get a tune that is adjustable. A piggyback I think is your best choice. JB1/4 or Dinan. Both can be adjusted.

bbanville

I ended up going with the cobb from MAP and I plan on running their map and just monitor the knock. I contacted a few local tuners who say they generally use the apr stage 1 91 octane with no issues and from what I have seen that's a little more aggressive than the MAP tune. I'm not gonna be able to mess with for another 3ish months when I get back state side. Also planning on doing the rs7 plugs to help with the lower octane and prevent detonation. Thanks for all the input!