GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant leaking

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Good catch. Actually I used distilled water mixed with the coolant. I don’t know why I said purified water -.-!

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
At 4k and 12k on the clock, I've had to add some coolant + distilled water mix. They were right at the min line both times, and I added enough of the mix to go to the middle of the specified range.

I haven't seen any leaks, smelled anything, etc. As someone mentioned above, I think it might just be evaporating b/c of how hot it can get in Southern California.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

blower

Ready to race!
I don't know why, but every time i read 'coolant leak'....i hear Geordi La Forge screaming 'coolant leak!, we have a coolant leak!'

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
George you are right I think I ca live with that at least for now.

Fed man, I don't have as many years of experience as you but this is the first car in 20 years that I have to refill the coolant periodically keeping an eye on it. But I hope that is at you said an the coolant drops (wherever they are) dry and seal the leak, that would be great.

This is my third car, two GTI's and the R. I had to top them all off every few months. Probably a cup and half in 10,000 miles.

Nikodj01

I have a 2016 GTI - While it was in for scheduled maintenance I told the VW dealer that it's losing coolant. The service guy said it's designed it to loose coolant... Long story short we argued for a while. Right now I'm at 51,000miles and it's at the minimum mark.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I have a 2016 GTI - While it was in for scheduled maintenance I told the VW dealer that it's losing coolant. The service guy said it's designed it to loose coolant... Long story short we argued for a while. Right now I'm at 51,000miles and it's at the minimum mark.

Haha what???? Do you mind sharing which dealer as I am in the Philly area? You can PM if you'd like.

My fiancee's 15' 1.8T Jetta has stayed at the full mark since the day she drove it off the lot in 2015.

Pineapple joyride

I posted my experience with "low coolant" previously but this is a better thread to talk about it. I brought my GTI (18K) into the dealership to have them investigate a coolant warning light (didn't look low to me) and they discovered a faulty temp actuator housing. THEN they discovered the water pump was also leaking (corroded gaskets). The actuator was replaced and a new water pump was installed. I was lucky to have it done under warranty. Otherwise, $$$ I've also noted this same scenario mentioned elsewhere.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Please. It’s loses.

mawallace

Ready to race!
I have to top up my Golf every three months or so. I top it from 3/4 full to full each time. It's always worse after a long motorway drive. Dealer never found anything and said that it's a very slow leak not to worry!

Panhead48

Passed Driver's Ed
water pump

had mine in today for some routine work and told them my tank was empty. They ran a pressure check and found a very small leak. It goes back in next week.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I have to top up my Golf every three months or so. I top it from 3/4 full to full each time. It's always worse after a long motorway drive. Dealer never found anything and said that it's a very slow leak not to worry!

You have a leak.