GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drain transmission fluid??

Mrpurple

Amateur DIY guy here and i just had a quick question, im installing a DKM stage 3 clutch on my 17 GTI this weekend and i need to know if it’s necessary to drain/change the transmission fluid to do the install. All the videos ive watched kind of dance around the subject but never actually show them doing so. Help me out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrpurple

Awesome, thank you! Second question if you’re up for it..I use break fluid to bleed the clutch, right?

Internexus

Ready to race!
I haven't done a clutch swap on a GTI but experience from many other FWD cars has led me to know that if you remove the half-shafts and then a transmission full of fluid you're likely to have it dumping out of where the half-shafts go. Is this not the case with this platform?

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Awesome, thank you! Second question if you’re up for it..I use break fluid to bleed the clutch, right?

Yes dot4

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Amateur DIY guy here and i just had a quick question, im installing a DKM stage 3 clutch on my 17 GTI this weekend and i need to know if it’s necessary to drain/change the transmission fluid to do the install. All the videos ive watched kind of dance around the subject but never actually show them doing so. Help me out!

I drained mine when I did mine basically so to make the transmission a little lighter when I dropped it out and also to be a little cleaner. It will leak not all but some. You can fill the voids with a rag.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
I'd recommend bleeding your entire brake system and replacing the fluid with Motul RBF600 while you're in there. That's what I did. You're less likely to boil the RBF600 over stock fluid.

And when you do the clutch you do not have to drain the trans. I only replaced the fluid because I swapped transmissions at the same time.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
I just did the DKM Stage 2 clutch this last Monday on my MK7 GTI. I went with the Stage 2 because it’s more than enough holding power for the stock turbo with Stage 2 software, which is what I have. I plan on selling the car next year for a GT350, so no IS38 for me.

Anyways, no you do not need to drain the transmission fluid. I did though, and at almost 20k miles, the stock fluid looked really good still. I put Royal Purple in because I have it in my E46 M3 and love it. So no, you don’t have to do it, but it’s a cheap mod, and I would recommend doing it while your there.

The brake fluid uses DOT 4, which is also used to bleed the clutch. You just open up the brake reservoir, leave it open, open the bleeder valve, have a hose connected from the bleeder valve into an empty plastic bottle, and start pumping the clutch until the clutch feels firm, and there’s no more air in the line. Make sure you keep adding the DOT 4 fluid so the brake reservoir doesn’t run out. Very important! It’s very easy, but you do need two people for it. It took about 20 up and downs on my clutch pedal with the new DKM clutch in the car, to bleed the air out. The clutch will want to stick to the floor at first. Don’t be afraid. It’s supposed to do that. Just pull the clutch back up, and then down, and up, all slowly, and you’ll be good.

So far I’m loving he DKM clutch! Very very minor clutch chatter with the swindle mass flywheel it has in it, and the grabbing point is near the floor which is what I like. I’m still on break in, and at first it was stiff, but it’s lightened up quite a bit after 150 miles. Hope your install goes smooth. Just make sure you have the right tools, and energy to lift the transmission, and it should be a cake walk. Took me and my friend 7 hours start to finish, on jack stands. Good luck dude!

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie