GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Get more turbo "noise"

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
EVERY flash tune can be detected by dealers now. A piggyback is your only option. Every other mod, such as a downpipe, intake or diverter valve/blowoff valve is easily seen. If you want to be reasonably sure you won't have driveability issues keep the additive boost low. I would go no higher than 4 PSI over stock.

You should also buy a VCDS so if you do have an issue you can pinpoint the source. You can buy a Dinan piggyback that has presets for 4, 3, or 2 PSI over stock, and is switchable by built-in Bluetooth with a free Android or iOS app. It also has a bypass mode (zero additive) and a "valet" mode that subtracts (IIRC) 3 PSI to limit power. VCDS costs as little as $199 and the Dinan is $299.

Make sure your dealer doesn't care if you have a piggyback. If not, you'll need to remove it instead of setting it to bypass. Keep in mind if you leave it on the car and you have an issue related to it you risk needing to pay for any repairs yourself. Examples include a damaged connector, pin or wire from installation. Or routing it too close to a fan. If you have a VCDS you can check before taking your car to a dealer. Plus you can do many other diagnostics yourself once you learn how to use it. And there are many beneficial tweaks you can perform to make your car more enjoyable.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I had run that exact setup for 6 months, didn't notice any more noise from the inlet pipe and elbow over the modded/cut out intake path, drop in and snograte removal. I was surprised how much more noise the sealed vwr intake made though, still don't think it added any hp, but noise for sure can even hear the dv valve blowing off pretty clear, I'd assume an open air intake might add some groan also.

Thanks for the input. I originally wanted the VWR Intake, but thought it was too much to spend for just added noise. I'm not getting an intake for the performance... I just want some more noise, but not CAI type noise. Seems like the VWR Intake maybe what I'm looking for if that's the case. For now I'll stick with what I have though.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the input. I originally wanted the VWR Intake, but thought it was too much to spend for just added noise. I'm not getting an intake for the performance... I just want some more noise, but not CAI type noise. Seems like the VWR Intake maybe what I'm looking for if that's the case. For now I'll stick with what I have though.

No problem. I was plenty happy, performance wise, with the oem modified air intake cutout, drop in, and snograte removal and on principle just wouldn't spend that kinda $$$ on an intake that doesn't add any hp. I lucked out and got a vwr600 intake for free, but I have to admit that I'm very surprised/pleased with the amount of noise it, a sealed intake, has added. Gives a clean oem-ish type look to the engine bay also, which personally I'm a fan of.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
No problem. I was plenty happy, performance wise, with the oem modified air intake cutout, drop in, and snograte removal and on principle just wouldn't spend that kinda $$$ on an intake that doesn't add any hp. I lucked out and got a vwr600 intake for free, but I have to admit that I'm very surprised/pleased with the amount of noise it, a sealed intake, has added. Gives a clean oem-ish type look to the engine bay also, which personally I'm a fan of.

So...if starting over would you go with the drop in, snow grate removal and modified air cutout or pay for a VWR Closed Intake?

Lets say you can get the VWR Closed Intake for $360 brand new based on show pricing or some other sale.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
So...if starting over would you go with the drop in, snow grate removal and modified air cutout or pay for a VWR Closed Intake?

Lets say you can get the VWR Closed Intake for $360 brand new based on show pricing or some other sale.

I still wouldn't pay for an intake, but that's just me. I was surprised how much noise it added, being sealed and all, but I'm only about spending $$$ on performance parts that actually add performance and in my opinion, which happens to be backed up by more than a few who have run high 11s through the modified oem intake and drop in, cai's on these cars are only noisemakers stupid expensive noisemakers at that. I'd put the $$$ towards a dp, or an intercooler but I don't worry about major warranty work either, all hell breaks looses, no pun intended, it's upgrade time, either parts or car wise. I won't spend any $$$ on a cat back either for the same reason, no performance to be had the dp is the only performance exhaust part worth spending money on, 4 poppers don't sound good anyway imo

SaiiBoost

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S
Best way to get spool sound and bypass valve whoosh, is by simply getting an Injen style open element intake. I certainly love the noises mine makes. Also, it's not so sneaky from the outside, lol