GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

MSGTI1

So is there a catted resonated dp out there that is drone free? I know ultimate racing has one, but I've read mixed reviews about the fitment. Any other high quality dp options out there?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Tons of them are quality, but I've never seen one drone free. There isn't room for a big enough resonator there...that's why VW put it just after in the CB

The downpipe was never intended to control drone. Any attempt is a bandaid because that's usually also leaving the stock on in place...which at that point might as well be hauling that extra weight around on the roof to show it off, because like I said resonator x2 doesn't equal twice the effect

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
I'd buy the DP with just a cat and add the 17950 in the straight part of the magnaflow. I talked a few guys into that already and they love it

Who already has this setup? With the magnaflow specifically?

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
I'd buy the DP with just a cat and add the 17950 in the straight part of the magnaflow. I talked a few guys into that already and they love it

Would it have to be welded in?

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks Jake, nice job.

I have always been confused about the “resonator” nomenclature used in forums. I understand the difference in function to a resonator (eliminates certain frequencies) and a muffler (reduces frequencies across the spectrum). What everyone calls a resonator behind the downpipe does not do anything about unwanted frequencies (drone) and when bypassed the system gets louder. So it functions as a muffler, Volkswagen calls it a muffler in their documentation, yet everyone calls it a resonator. I don’t get it, but who am I to buck the forum masses.

Unfortunate to hear that the Vibrant Performance Ultra Quiet is not up to the task. The resonator (which actually is a resonator) on the stock downpipe works well and is 10” in length, same as the Vibrant UQ, and similar diameter; therefore, with similar internal volume I am surprised to hear that it doesn’t work well.

So much of this depends on your design goals. Yes, most folks want to get rid of the sound that makes your head feel like it will explode when you are at 3.3K going up a 7% grade. In my case, I am trying to get rid of drone and keep it as quiet as stock as secondary goal. So if you remove the first muffler (resonator) to put in an actual resonator you get rid of drone, but then the system is louder. If you use the 18” longer resonator there is not enough room to put in between downpipe (cutting downpipe near bracket) and muffler (resonator). So no drone, but louder system.

I hope the Vibrant UQ works well enough as I have limited space to work with for what I am trying to accomplish; that and I have one waiting to install. First place I went to install did not believe there was enough room to install before muffler (resonator). If you use the 4.5” of pipe going into the muffler (resonator) and cut downpipe at the bracket I think it can work. Some of this depends on downpipe as mine (Eurojet/Revo) is offset from center at bracket. I will be looking for another installer as I haven’t given up yet. If that doesn’t work, I intend to remove muffler (resonator) and install resonator and a Flowmaster DBX muffler. Unfortunately, if I use the larger 18” resonator I won’t be able to use the additional muffler. Compromises sometimes have to be made depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks Jake, nice job.

I have always been confused about the “resonator” nomenclature used in forum. I understand the difference in function to a resonator (eliminates certain frequencies) and a muffler (reduces frequencies across the spectrum). What everyone calls a resonator behind the downpipe does not do anything about unwanted frequencies (drone) and when bypassed the system gets louder. So it functions as a muffler, Volkswagen calls it a muffler in their documentation, yet everyone calls it a resonator. I don’t get it, but who am I to buck the forum masses.

Unfortunate to hear that the Vibrant Performance Ultra Quiet is not up to the task. The resonator (which actually is a resonator) on the stock downpipe works well and is 10” in length, same as the Vibrant UQ, and similar diameter; therefore, with similar internal volume I am surprised to hear that it doesn’t work well.

So much of this depends on your design goals. Yes, most folks want to get rid of the sound that makes your head feel like it will explode when you are at 3.3K going up a 7% grade. In my case, I am trying to get rid of drone and keep it as quiet as stock as secondary goal. So if you remove the first muffler (resonator) to put in an actual resonator you get rid of drone, but then the system is louder. If you use the 18” longer resonator there is not enough room to put in between downpipe (cutting downpipe near bracket) and muffler (resonator). So no drone, but louder system.

I hope the Vibrant UQ works well enough as I have limited space to work with for what I am trying to accomplish; that and I have one waiting to install. First place I went to install did not believe there was enough room to install before muffler (resonator). If you use the 4.5” of pipe going into the muffler (resonator) and cut downpipe at the bracket I think it can work. Some of this depends on downpipe as mine (Eurojet/Revo) is offset from center at bracket. I will be looking for another installer as I haven’t given up yet. If that doesn’t work, I intend to remove muffler (resonator) and install resonator and a Flowmaster DBX muffler. Unfortunately, if I use the larger 18” resonator I won’t be able to use the additional muffler. Compromises sometimes have to be made depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

The UQ makes a great paper weight as proven by several people here

The resonator belongs in the cat back between the DP and the first bend. All the room in the world there (stock unit is 22" long). If you still want another muffler put it where I put mine, the car even came with an unused exhaust hangar in the gap before the rear suspension (next to the fuel tank)

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
And idk what anyone's talking about with drone only being on hills. SC is flat as glass and my catted downpipe droned like a son of a bitch all of the time with the stock resonator 2400-3300 rpm. I almost overnighted my cat back parts to build my current turbo back to get away from that disaster

SaiiBoost

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S
Running a Rev9 uncatted DP, 3 inch Vibrant 17950, and Magnaflow catback. Perfect balance of sound, and zero restriction. No drone at all, and quiet, but noticeable idle. WOT, is amazeballs.

Last edited:

SaiiBoost

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S
Proof right there you don't need to pay top dollar for a great exhaust!

All thanks to your old build thread my friend!:D I ran uncatted WITHOUT the Vibrant 17950 for a week, and I don't know how people can even remotely think that drone is bearable. It would drop so deep at 2100rpm, that the entire car would rattle. This setup is perfect in every way. Especially when you remove that sliding plastic flap on the underside of the armrest. No more rattling at all!

Last edited: