GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS VW GTI JB4 info thread

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
I tried reading through both really long JB4 threads, so sorry if this is the 15,000th time this has been asked, but I get my new unit tomorrow. I'm stock, engine wise except for pulling out the snow guard on my intake and adding a VWR filter. I don't plan on messing around with the tunes too much, I just kind of want a set it and forget it tune for now until I get a downpipe.

My car is a 2016 Performance Pack Autobahn with DSG and I live in Virginia where the temps swing from about 90 something and humidity to just below the 0 mark Fahrenheit through the seasons. I was planning on just leaving it in Map 2 until I get a downpipe, but is the default Map 6 value good enough to keep it at given my basic setup and no initial interest in constant logging and tweaking? Basically I want the most out-of-the-box power that I can have without having to fuss with it too much until I get the other bolt on parts to really start tweaking my power levels.

On the JB4 map 6 is low torque but very high boost at high rpm so its just a starter map for guys that want to try max things. I reckon use map 2 and when your ready with teh hardware on the car we can do a custom map 6 for the car.

Joel

Ready to race!
Day 3 driving stock.
Missing the extra power...
The JB4 I bricked should be getting to BMS today.

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
Took the car out for a 60km drive - defiantly enjoying the added power on map1.
But, I do feel that it's adding the power like an on\off switch as was described as the feeling of a JB1.
There is a point in the accelerator pedal where it's noticeable as you can hear the engine tone changes.
It also feels like it kicks in with a delay - I press on the pedal and it roars about 0.5s later - what can I check to make sure all is working and setup well?

Davedough

When I lived in VA Map 2 would work great year round.

Or you could dial it in now and then just run additive map 6. You wouldn't have to change it for winter (might be leaving some power on the table but there would be no need to tweak and log)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I would just use map 2 and good gas. Until you get a downpipe.

On the JB4 map 6 is low torque but very high boost at high rpm so its just a starter map for guys that want to try max things. I reckon use map 2 and when your ready with teh hardware on the car we can do a custom map 6 for the car.

Thanks guys. I'm pretty excited for tomorrow. This is my first non-cosmetic mod and I can't wait to feel how much more power my car has.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I threw a cel today and the code was 3A44 which translated to a 14916 - Catalyst System; Bank 1 P0420 00 [232] - Efficiency Below Threshold problem or O2 sensor i did remove my cat and am messing with the spacer so i pretty much knew what it was and I could not clear it with the jb4 so when i got home i scanned it with my ross-tech and cleared the fault then. The code on the jb4 came up with no description available im not sure if this is one you guys have came across so if not then its another one for the list.

MKJIVE1

Passed Driver's Ed
Any good starting points for adding a downpipe? Been running map 2 and since adding a high flow DP I feel like I haven't gained any power...like at all. I need to run a log and post it up

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Any good starting points for adding a downpipe? Been running map 2 and since adding a high flow DP I feel like I haven't gained any power...like at all. I need to run a log and post it up
Run a map 2 log then start playing with map 6.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

skian

Ready to race!
Which DP did you put on?
With logging, you should be able to add more boost, especially in the upper rpms. Just log, raise boost in small increments (.5) and re log. Take your time with it.

Joel

Ready to race!
BMS is awesome!
Already got a tracking number for the return of my JB4.
They didn't even charge me return shipping or an idiot fee for loading the wrong firmware.

rc pete

Passed Driver's Ed
JB4 Alone?

Ok im trying to decide if I should get a Flash tune and stack the JB4. Or use the JB4 alone.

2017 GTI Sport PP DSG

I think I know the answer but would like opinions.

Im concerned if I get the JB4 only, theres key parameters that I wont have changed without a Flash.

Im used to tuning with HP tuners, etc which I would call a Flash.

I been speaking to George and hes great. I never asked him this question.

Thank you in advance.

depth_charged

Ready to race!
BMS is awesome!
Already got a tracking number for the return of my JB4.
They didn't even charge me return shipping or an idiot fee for loading the wrong firmware.

Glad to hear man! I'm still on the fence about what way I want to go for power, but along with the testimonies here, this just pushes me closer to the JB4.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Ok im trying to decide if I should get a Flash tune and stack the JB4. Or use the JB4 alone.

2017 GTI Sport PP DSG

I think I know the answer but would like opinions.

Im concerned if I get the JB4 only, theres key parameters that I wont have changed without a Flash.

Im used to tuning with HP tuners, etc which I would call a Flash.

I been speaking to George and hes great. I never asked him this question.

Thank you in advance.

Unless you absolutely need the speed limiter removed, you'll get everything you need and more with just the JB4.

rc pete

Passed Driver's Ed
Unless you absolutely need the speed limiter removed, you'll get everything you need and more with just the JB4.

Thats what I was wondering, the ford ecus have tons on limiters and TQ settings. If those are not raised forget about it.

What is the speed limiter anyways?

depth_charged

Ready to race!
Thats what I was wondering, the ford ecus have tons on limiters and TQ settings. If those are not raised forget about it.

What is the speed limiter anyways?

Someone else can chime in, but I don't think the GTI has torque limiting like Ford does... I sold my Focus RS because of how neutered the car was in 1st and 2nd because of the aggressive torque limiting.