GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fueling for straight e85...?

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Damn that's a lot to ask of the ECU and fuel pump in my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Roger that lol.. but theres a eurodyne user whos beem running e50 for while and he said no problems. E60 seems like a stretch without tuning for it. That being said its guys like oldschool who try push the envelope, lack of better term..that helps the community learn and grow on this platform :)

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
I ran close to e50 with my 5150 e30 tune. Car ran amazing and I ran that mix for over a month with no problems. I just hated having to fill up so often.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, the downside of e50 is pretty big hit in fuel mileage. But, at only 1.54 per gallon it is not that big of deal. Again, car runs like raped ape in 90 degree weather.

Venumous

Ready to race!
Roger that lol.. but theres a eurodyne user whos beem running e50 for while and he said no problems. E60 seems like a stretch without tuning for it. That being said its guys like oldschool who try push the envelope, lack of better term..that helps the community learn and grow on this platform :)

All for it, just don't want anyone to end up having a really bad day.

That being said I just ordered the return style system for my 5.0 to run E85. Should be looking at 800whp. :eek:

jmal2005

Ready to race!
I thought the only reason we don't run pure e85 is due to the corrosive nature of it on our fueling system? Even if running a mix is less harmful isn't running e40-e50 pushing it? I'm scared to even leave e20 sitting in my tank for more then a week.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I thought the only reason we don't run pure e85 is due to the corrosive nature of it on our fueling system? Even if running a mix is less harmful isn't running e40-e50 pushing it? I'm scared to even leave e20 sitting in my tank for more then a week.

All cars today are setup to run at least 10-15% corn as they sit. Most pumps have 10% already. Corn is the red-headed step child of the gas industry. Not worth giving yourself an ulcer worrying. Lol.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Just a follow up on this one. Somewhere around e65-e70 I popped a P2177 System Too Lean Off Idle Bank 1. Code clears no problem. Car runs fine and quite strong at the level though. The code came up in normal stop and go part throttle. I have run e60 and below multiple tanks with zero codes for your reference. So extra low speed tuning should be done above e65 range. Anything e55 or below on stock tune is golden. FYI.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I got some interesting information at water fest. I was walking buy the APR both and noticed on one of their MQB cars had a E85 sensor. So I decided to go up to one of there reps and ask about it. At first he was like what are you talking about. I said let me show you and showed him the car and sensor. We started talking. He said they were having issues with the key cycle or something like that. But anyway I asked him what hardware would be needed to run full e85 on a is38 GTI and if I would need there port injection. He said no that you can run e50 on the stock fuel system. And you would only need a lpfp to run full e85. I don't know how accurate this information is. But last time I talked to UM they told me that you could run e50 on full boost on the stock system with there flex fuel kit. To me this is big news it might be more affordable than originally thought to run e85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UM tells me 2-3 gallons of E85 per tank on stock fueling. The flex fuel sensor allows whatever you put in the tank. Its recommended to do the pump and injectors if running straight E85. UM sells everything needed for any fueling you want.

I will say a full fuel system is not cheap.

king12sky

Ready to race!
UM tells me 2-3 gallons of E85 per tank on stock fueling. The flex fuel sensor allows whatever you put in the tank. Its recommended to do the pump and injectors if running straight E85. UM sells everything needed for any fueling you want.

Wow that is something to think about if anyone wants to go Stage 3 in the future. Iroz Motorsports is really intriguing but too bad we in Florida do not have either company's support! :(

Ricked_Em

Go Kart Champion
Just a follow up on this one. Somewhere around e65-e70 I popped a P2177 System Too Lean Off Idle Bank 1. Code clears no problem. Car runs fine and quite strong at the level though. The code came up in normal stop and go part throttle. I have run e60 and below multiple tanks with zero codes for your reference. So extra low speed tuning should be done above e65 range. Anything e55 or below on stock tune is golden. FYI.

Same here.

Mr.boles

Ready to race!

Yeah I know they have a full setup. I did the math it it would end up costing about 3000. There port injection is 1600. Then I would still need a lpfp and there tune and flex fuel sensor. From what they told me a while ago you can run full e85 with there flex fuel sensor and tune but after e50 they have to turn down the boost and the returns are diminishing on the stock system. I'm hoping that the guy from APR wasn't bs'ing me and I could run full e85 on a is38 with full boost with a lpfp. Im going to try and be the Guinea pig for it when Maestro come out If not I'm not sure the cost to power is worth it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Yeah I know they have a full setup. I did the math it it would end up costing about 3000. There port injection is 1600. Then I would still need a lpfp and there tune and flex fuel sensor. From what they told me a while ago you can run full e85 with there flex fuel sensor and tune but after e50 they have to turn down the boost and the returns are diminishing on the stock system. I'm hoping that the guy from APR wasn't bs'ing me and I could run full e85 on a is38 with full boost with a lpfp. Im going to try and be the Guinea pig for it when Maestro come out If not I'm not sure the cost to power is worth it for me.
Good observation. I've been reading that full E85 isn't necessary to achieve maximum brake torque, and it would seem the turbo has it's own efficiency zone limitations. Could it be E50 is a good place to be?

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Good observation. I've been reading that full E85 isn't necessary to achieve maximum brake torque, and it would seem the turbo has it's own efficiency zone limitations. Could it be E50 is a good place to be?

Well from my experience the car runs night and day better in the 90 degree plus heat with 50 plus % corn on top of 93 pump. Straight pump I feel timing being pulled.