GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible fix to crooked license plate?

Kytn

Hi guys, I've been wondering if there is any other possible fixes other than re-drilling the bumper to fix my crooked rear plate. Previous dealer before I got the car mounted the plate. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Ugghh that is plain shitay. Sorry. Damn dealers. Only thing I can think of is finding a plate frame that has holes that have vertical leeway. If not you can drill the frame yourself. Otherwise, just punch another hole in the bumper. No one is going to see it anyway.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
It should work. Align the slotted holes in the bracket with the existing holes in your bumper, level it and mount it. Your license plate then screws into the smaller holes on the surface of the bracket. Worth a try it's only $5.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Wow, how incompetent must one be to hack it up that bad?? I would either redrill or reattach it with that heavy duty red double sided foam tape. I did it to temporarily put mine on and that stuff is like glue, it won't go anywhere until you intentionally pry it off with a heat gun and wire. Not sure if its legal long term? but what cop even checks that.

I received my car with no holes in the front or back. They said they would have some saleskid drill the back holes....I went with him out of curiosity and asked how he would do it. He closes one eye, holds the plate with one hand, drill with the other, and goes "you just need to eye it. I do it to GTIs and Rs all the time". No marking, no measuring, nothing.

Ya....no thanks. I made sure he didn't touch the car and just drilled them myself when I took it home lol would have probably looked like yours if I hadn't said anything.

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
My rear bumper is not drilled. The license plate is held on with heavy duty outside double sided tape.

pitterchi

Ready to race!
Mine was crooked too. I ended up going with the Volvo mount (as suggested by AtlantaDad's link).

Another popular option is the BMW mount.

Both options involve drilling new holes into the rear bumper but once you're done you should be able to hide the other holes easily and it'll look great. I used rubber well nuts to secure the mount to the bumper which seems to help prevent license plate rattle.

Good luck.