GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs EVO IX FP Green

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Stopped at the gas station on my way into work a few mins ago and came across a healthy sounding evo at the pump next to me. I topped off and asked him what turbo he was running. He proudly replied FP Green stock appearing and went on to say it about 550hp and had just been rebuilt ...so with my general knowledge of DSMs I automatically called bs on that number, especially since he had just topped off with 93 (no e85 even available in our area). I asked if he was heading north across the bridge just after the next light and we were set.

I already knew I was over powered even if his claim might have been 100whp high or more, but just for shits n grins I braved the 84* muggy temps to go AC off and windows up all but a crack to better my odds. He had all four windows down and his girl with him to my advantage.

Neither of us brake boosted and both left from a slow roll in second gear. We both started to spool about the same time and I quickly pulled a half car. No lift shift into third and the gap continued to grow in my favor (especially since he shifted into 4th soon after). Then as most races go when you're playing with a much better equipped car he came along side me a little before we hit the required speed for time travel. By the time I entered the triple digits it was game over. He had pulled about 2 cars and we both lifted.

Dude was cool and genuinely impressed with how the gti held up. Even more so when I reviled it was all stock aside from intake, exhaust, and :cool:

gotshotgun

Ready to race!
Sounds like fun! Those Evos were sure fun to drive 10 years ago. Even compared with our cars, the steering is amazingly direct.

work2fly

Passed Driver's Ed
I've never disclosed anywhere on the forum on that subject, I can PM you if you'd like, but I've had issues with a shitty service manager snooping the forums on a prior Volkswagen so I keep my specifics off the main page

Call that bitch out...a dealer using internet forums to dig dirt on customers??

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
And they called me paranoid in the blown turbo thread! [emoji14]

Ps. Cool story bro! No I mean it. For real!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Not that it really matters lol, but I've already held out this long might as well keep on keeping on.

but out of all the advice I give and threads I post I guess everyone's just ok with I like BFI mounts and build exhausts on the side. Other than that I'm a man of mystery

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I've never disclosed anywhere on the forum on that subject, I can PM you if you'd like, but I've had issues with a shitty service manager snooping the forums on a prior Volkswagen so I keep my specifics off the main page

No worries, I do the same and can guess what you have...or don't have.:D