GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC and motor yellow lights

nexx

Passed Driver's Ed
A week ago I was cruising at 60km/h when suddenly the car lost like 50% of it's power. Immediately two yellow lights came up (one that reads "EPC" and another one (see pic).

I've noticed a very strong smell (like "paint") and noticed a gray smoke coming from the exhaust. I've restarted the car several times and always the two lights came back yellow. Sometimes it only restarted if I pressed the gas pedal..

The car has been one week in the dealer already and they can't figure out the problem... They said they updated some software but it did not solve. Now they are talking to the factory for next steps...

It's a 2013 Golf TSI Highline 1.4L petrol with less than two months.

Any hints?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1947.JPG
    IMG_1947.JPG
    425.3 KB · Views: 17,869

krob2

Passed Driver's Ed
Similar to what happened on mine a few weeks ago - the assistance guy found issues with the fuel pressure when he plugged it in. Recovered to the dealer and they first said a software update was done then after that a fuel pump part was changed with a VW recall issued that very week. The limp mode was very scary - luckily I didn't have far to go.

Fanis1

Ready to race!
Could be anything from poor quality fuel to ecu malfunction, or even something wrong with the engine itself

nexx

Passed Driver's Ed
Similar to what happened on mine a few weeks ago - the assistance guy found issues with the fuel pressure when he plugged it in. Recovered to the dealer and they first said a software update was done then after that a fuel pump part was changed with a VW recall issued that very week. The limp mode was very scary - luckily I didn't have far to go.

Thanks man, I'll talk with the assistance guy about that, maybe it's the same cause!

Sorry, did not understand "limp mode"? What you mean?

finallyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Had same problem with Altea FR TFSI... they had to replace ECU. It was an expensive repair like 1500 EUR, but luckily you have warranty ;)

nexx

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the replies.

The car is at the dealer since april 16 and as of today they don't have a clue about the root of the problem!! :mad:

Last edited:

Krankie

In my Golf mk6 I had also experienced severe power loss several times while driving, often when going above 110 km/h (~ 70 mph). Usually turning the car off and on again after few minutes would provide a temporary fix. So my first thought was also software. However the last time it also gave me a yellow engine warning light; went to the dealer and turned out a turbo waste-gate valve was malfunctioning.
I don't recall the smell or real smoke, but seeing your dashboard lights it might be related?

nexx

Passed Driver's Ed
Car still in the dealer... Very very frustrating..

Last week they said factory authorized replacement of some parts. They say the car should be in my hands this week.. hopefully.

Josh2

Any news on your car? I had those same two warning lights come one when I was on a long cruise. When i pressed the gas peddle the engine shuddered, then when I took my foot off, it was fine, shuddering, then fine. Then I coasted for a bit longer and it fixed itself but the lights still stayed on. Was worried initially but took it in and they said they didnt know what happened. So must have been one of those phantom problems. Hasnt happened since, and that was 3 months ago.

bumface

Any updates? I had the same problem driving my new Golf home from the dealer! It hasn't happened since (2 weeks), but the two lights are still on every time I start up. It's going back to the dealer for checks on Tuesday, so any advice would be appreciated. The dealer has told me that the warning lights are "normal"...

burso

Ready to race!
They come on yellow when you rotate the key into the first position and should disappear when you turn it into position 2 to start the engine.
I was too concerned something's not right, but it would only be in the case they stay yellow after you start the engine. I reckon the dealer meant it is normal in the 1st position...
This is what mine is like in 1st position

Attachments

• 20130913_151857b.jpg
    20130913_151857b.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 13,860

bumface

That's good news thanks burso. So it's just confirming that there is an EPC and emissions sensors rather than telling me something is wrong. The manual wasn't clear to me. I guess in the absence of any fault code I'm likely to be wasting my time taking it to the dealer. Oh well, I'll see what happens.

burso

Ready to race!
Keep an eye on the loss of power subject but regarding the epc light do not worry. There is a thread about the loss of power somewhere. It happened to me on a couple of occasions but only in ECO mode when coasting.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

desavesworld

I am having the same two lights (EPC and check engine light) but my car won't start. It clicks and I hear the starter but it won't load and the information system flashes that there is a warning of some sort. Lights come one and this only happens after 5+ starts after jumping.

Any Ideas?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I am having the same two lights (EPC and check engine light) but my car won't start. It clicks and I hear the starter but it won't load and the information system flashes that there is a warning of some sort. Lights come one and this only happens after 5+ starts after jumping.

Any Ideas?

Sounds like you have a bad battery if you need to jump start it, and then have issues starting it later. The EPC light also functions as the battery light. If you hear the starter just clicking and not actually cranking the engine over then that is also a good sign you need a battery.