GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Electric cutout advice

ACE2

Ready to race!
2016 mk7 gti. I'm looking to get a electric cutouts for my exhaust...currently I have a 3" CTS turbo exhaust on the car, but I'm having a hard time trying to understand what I need. The exhaust system I have uses bands that compress the exhaust to hold together. So does anyone know what is needed in terms of a specific size to slip on my existing exhaust and maybe what I should connect the wires too for a fully functioning flap. Thanks for your time as usual everyone!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You need to cut out a section of pipe.

Any 12v source is good. You'll need to run the wires inside the car unless the switch is wireless.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I just bought the QTP, it's going in this weekend.

All it is for wiring is a power and a ground.

I bought this extra y-pipe, but i will probably cut it apart, cut the stock exhaust to match, and TIG them together.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion

I bought this extra y-pipe, but i will probably cut it apart, cut the stock exhaust to match, and TIG them together.

what size? oem exhaust size or 3" for the down-pipe? Post some pics after the install. I been wanting one of these myself, but not sure where to install it.

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
Perfect timing on this thread OP. I have a CTS Turbo exhaust as well and have also been looking into getting an electronic cutout. I'll be paying close attention to this thread. :)

ACE2

Ready to race!

Awesome how do you like that piece of equipment? I saw their website but couldn't find too many reviews

ACE2

Ready to race!
Perfect timing on this thread OP. I have a CTS Turbo exhaust as well and have also been looking into getting an electronic cutout. I'll be paying close attention to this thread. :)
Perfect! Lol I looking at where is fit this thing and how to put on this exhaust setup....was kinda hoping to be able to slide this on right after the cat less pipe rather than weld..but if I have to get it welded I will lol I've been wanting this ever forever now

ACE2

Ready to race!
It's pricey...and I'm still on the fence...but I'm thinking of going with a QTP package deal, it comes with y pipe, flaps, hard wire switch and wireless setup key fobs...just scared to pull trigger as from what I read they are hit and miss products..but mostly good. The thing is they are the one of the top, if not top, brand for this type of setups

mkwhat

did you guys follow thru? looking for one myself and im not sure what i should get. id probably do it just before the suitcase muff so its not rattly or obnoxious

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
did you guys follow thru? looking for one myself and im not sure what i should get. id probably do it just before the suitcase muff so its not rattly or obnoxious

I just did this today. I have an Apr downpipe, res delete to the stock suitcase. With the cutout open it is obscene. From a free rev it is one of the coolest sounding things ever. From normal driving it sounds god awful. You could get a vibrant resonator but I don't want to make my daily closed sound too quiet. I'm worried that with it closed it will cause turbulence in the flow and cause a slight loss.

I recommend this only for race days, tracked cars or actual $ roll races. It really does sound bad lol

MikeMK7

Ready to race!
I just did this today. I have an Apr downpipe, res delete to the stock suitcase. With the cutout open it is obscene. From a free rev it is one of the coolest sounding things ever. From normal driving it sounds god awful. You could get a vibrant resonator but I don't want to make my daily closed sound too quiet. I'm worried that with it closed it will cause turbulence in the flow and cause a slight loss.

I recommend this only for race days, tracked cars or actual $ roll races. It really does sound bad lol

Can you post a video of it? I really wanna do this but im on the fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Can you post a video of it? I really wanna do this but im on the fence.

Disconnect your catback from your down pipe and go for a drive.

It sounds like crap, this is not a mod you use on a daily basis, it's a mod for those times you want to make as much power as possible.

I gained 10whp with the E-cutout, but overall the full 3" system is 20lbs lighter, sounds much better, and should make more power.

Obviously different price point.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I will mention one thing: if you do it, go with an electric one or buy the cheap one to start and add the motor if you like it. You won't like it. But, I will say that from a free rev it is one of the coolest sounding cars ever. Turbo whistle sounds like a drag car. We had a car show yesterday and 20 people came up asking about it and telling me how good it sounds. Then I start cruising and all hell breaks loose. It's the drone that does it in, it's enough to give you a headache. Like Hoon said I'm getting a 3" CB made and using just a cheap universal muffler and I'm sure it'll sound good and may even be a step up in flow.

But if you wanna make 10whp for cheap, drone out the sound of your wife's voice, piss off shouldering cars and their ear drums, this is how :)

MikeMK7

Ready to race!
Who would make a 3 inch catback? Im guessing a muffler shop? Roughly how much would it be to get one made?