GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD Vibration/Rattle

Vex1

Hi All,

I have just purchased a 64 plate GTD and have been driving for a week now and love the car. Although I have noticed a dull vibrating/rattle when driving, now i have noticed it its all i can hear.
Has anyone had anything similar or know what it could be before i head back to dealer?

Thanks

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Going to need more details.. at what speed, rpm, what throttle position, etc etc..

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

Vex1

Thanks,
No noise when stationary and more noticable over 20mph, its a DSG and is heard through the range of gears and rpm.
It dosnt get any louder or worse on uneven ground or over speed bumps which is detering me away from something cosmetic which has worked loose.

Its not to loud in general just now i have noticed it its all i can hear :mad:

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Wheel bearings? Bad tyre? Is it constant or changes pitch relative to road speed?

Vex1

Its pretty constant and no pitch changes. Could be a bearing.

Think it will be a trip back to the dealer for them to investigate while still under warranty.

Cheers for your help

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Wheel bearings do not rattle or vibrate neither do tyres they rumble and you can feel them through the wheel.

Something is loose, maybe a mount or even exhaust hanger. Just let the dealer sort it, that is what your warranty is for.;)

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I would agree.

keeton

Passed Driver's Ed
iv just been back to the dealer this morning iv got a loud tapping noise from the engine the tech lad said its the normal gtd sound mines 2 week old

Vex1

Went back to local VW dealer and took mechanic out to show noise but he said he couldn't hear it. I must be on a different frequency.
Left car with them for the day. they checked all over and took out for another test, concluded they could hear a noise and it was rear tyres mis-shaping so replaced with 2 new under warranty. Collected car but i can still hear the same noise it is in for a service in a few weeks so i will get them to look at the issue again!!

paulb19573

I had a rattle on my GTD when it was new. Looked everywhere for tips & clues. Eventually turned out to be the airbag under the steering wheel in the drivers footwell. Just needed to remove the plastic panel under the steering wheel & tweak up the torx screws. They weren't really loose but was obviously enough to cause a rattle on mine. Took me ages to work out where it was coming from - thought mine was from the engine or at least the engine bay... hope you get it sorted. Drove me mad for weeks.

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
Decided to do a bit of investigating my self. I have recorded the engine, Is the engine suppose to sound like this when accelerator pressed? Sound like its from fuel pump area.

https://youtu.be/v4A4xRZH9Qk

Thanks

Sounds about right, I hear the tapping which just sounds like normal light diesel knock.
Try using Shell V-Power diesel ;)

Hugo Nebula

Ready to race!
I have just purchased a 64 plate GTD and have been driving for a week now and love the car. Although I have noticed a dull vibrating/rattle when driving, now i have noticed it its all i can hear.
Just so that we're clear; have you had a diesel before?

Diesels DO make more noise than petrols (there's no getting away from it); is it that you're hearing?