GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8t Resonator delete

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
So not too long ago I bought some 2.25" tubing and an exhaust clamp because I wanted to see if I could pull off a reversible resonator delete for under $25. I (more or less) managed it by cutting off the resonator before the front exhaust hangar so that I could use just a straight piece of pipe, but I also had to grind off about half of the welded bit of the hangar and the pipe left on the resonator is not long enough to fit a clamp on, so it currently isn't reversible until I weld on some extra pipe to the resonator. In summary I do not recommend this method of resonator delete, however it was functional.

Mainly what I want to talk about is my experience with the resonator delete's sound on our 1.8t's. I was very surprised how little of a difference it is. From inside the car I cannot tell the difference and from outside the car the exhaust has gone from silent to barely audible with a fairly deep tone. I'm not really disappointing with the result, as I was more afraid it would be too loud, but with this level of change I'm not entirely sure what the point of the resonator from the factory was!

If you have done a resonator delete on the 1.8t and want to share your experience please share below, I'm curious about what others think about it too. All I've done so far is a drive around the block and a few pulls on an on-ramp and the highway, so there might be more things I'll learn about it as I live with it.

Slick99

Ready to race!
i have the resonator delete pipe with me since last year, it came with the revo downpipe. I dont want my car to be loud only want more performance so only fitted dp.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

Slick99

Ready to race!
low-key resonator delete will do nothing lol
True, will only give more dsg fart sound.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

anjoVW

Ready to race!
I started off with a muffler delete only and that made a difference in sound. So if you want more sound but not loud I recommend that. I later added a Vibrant Res in place of my stock res to make it louder and decrease drone which Im happy with. Of course it might be too loud for different people.

My Muffler Delete:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erBjm148g9I

Muffler Delete w/ Vibrant 1790 resonator swap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww5itF8h484

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Here is what I did (and why) on my 1.8t:

The stock exhaust muffler and resonator are quite heavy and the system was too quiet for my taste. I wanted a simple and cost effective solution to rid of some weight and get some better sound. Throwing on a GTI exhaust would have made it even heavier, so I chose against that. I didn't want to spend a lot since nobody can even see a custom exhaust on this car (beyond the tips). I decided to keep the 2.25" T409 piping and just allow it to flow a bit better using straight-thru components. From dynos , the 2.25" diameter hasn't been a severe limiting factor for a 300+ WHP 1.8 TSI. Any flow improvements are just icing on the cake.

First, I did a muffler delete, installed an aftermarket resonator, and added some nice T304 4" dual tips. I hoped to stop there, but didn't like it because it was too loud for my taste (even with stock DP).
Loudness level: most will be looking at your car as you drive by. Cruising on the highway was too loud. Sound was not refined. Back to the muffler shop...

Next, I kept the aftermarket resonator and added an aftermarket muffler. I used a $100 Magnaflow muffler T409 since the rest of the piping was still stock. The result was a nice refined growl, but not very noticeable, even at WOT.
Loudness level: No drone on the highway. Louder than than stock, but would likely be "too quiet" side for many. However, that was a good thing for me since I planned to add a DP within the next year.

Finally, I added a USP catted DP and I am really liking the finished product. Achieved about 25 lb of weight reduction.
Loudness level: still no drone and quiet on the highway. It has a nice noticeable sounding growl when accelerating during normal cruising. It is now much more aggressive sounding at WOT, but still with a refined and controlled tone (as opposed to an open exhaust).
Cost: ~$750 installed for the whole turbo-back system (I did the DP myself, a muffler shop did the rest). The T409 system should last about 7 years or so. I'll likely sell the car after 5 years.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

That definitely won't fit the sport wagon. We have a completely different rear muffler from the golf and the mid pipe and front muffler is different as well. Ours doesn't have the curve at the end.
https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/oem-p...0d2FnZW4meT0yMDE2JnQ9c2UmZT0xLThsLWw0LWdhcw==

https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/oem-p...0d2FnZW4meT0yMDE2JnQ9c2UmZT0xLThsLWw0LWdhcw==

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

034 site doesn't though. I'm guessing ECS is wrong. We definitely have a different mid pipe from the golf and the gti. It's longer and then our rear muffler is shaped completely different. Look at those links I shared. Ours doesn't have that bend at the end to the muffler. The other thing is that it's for the gti which is 2-1/2". It technically won't fit the standard golf as well.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
While not exactly a resonator delete, I'll chime in with my experience with changing up my exhaust on my Golf. Going into this, I definitely wanted to liven up the exhaust note, after all I'm sure that we are all well aware that with the stock setup on our 1.8T's they sound like basically nothing. Effectively my two main goals were A: to avoid a ricey exhaust note (there are no shortage of fart can civics where I live) and B: avoid drone and excessive noise on the cold start (some days I have to drive off to work at 4:45 in the morning, so that is more tuned for respect of my neighbors).

Initially I went with the AWE Track cat back system after tuning to stage 1 which features a straight pipe leading to a singular muffler roughly half the size of the stock unit. Now while I cannot say it is the cheapest solution out there, for anybody who isn't planning on replacing their downpipe I cannot recommend that setup enough. It sounded incredible while remaining civil below 2.3k revs, and was virtually drone free on the highway.

However I eventually decided to go stage 2, and wound up going with the APR downpipe due to the free upgrade. This is where things got a tad, well, silly. Cold starts sounded like an ongoing explosion, the car droned incessantly on the freeway, and every time you hit 2k revs everyone would hear absolute madness. Despite all that it wasn't ricey at all, and maintained the aggressive deep growl I loved so much about the AWE exhaust. and I have to admit, there was a certain level of goofy fun to be had with a car that sounded so ridiculous, but ultimately this is my daily driver and I decided to calm things down a bit.

So based off recommendations from the GTI exhaust thread, I wound up getting the Vibrant 17930 resonator in attempt to quiet things down. Suffice to say, I am supremely pleased with the end result, but rather than having me wax on about the noise it makes, I wound up taking a video with a friend that I think will do the car much more justice than just words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NKuI3s5iLs

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
The other thing is that it's for the gti which is 2-1/2". It technically won't fit the standard golf as well.

That's what I was wondering as well. Unless they provide a 2.5 to 2.25 adapter to reduce the diameter, which is not mentioned. I would trust the 034 website on this one.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Also guys note the GTI catback is NOT a standard 2.5”. It’s more like 2.7” OD. I had to get a custom 3” reducer made from a 3 to 2.5” enlarged at a muffler shop.