GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Diesel engine software mods

Hobby55

Ready to race!
No, they're not. Petrols don't have issues with NOx for example, and some
(affordable) cars already do meet Euro 6c, even without particulate filters.

They don't have as bigger issues with NOx, granted, but DI Petrol engines will need a particulate trap like diesels to meet future (no doubt more stringent) emissions regulations as they can produce as many particulates as diesels, and of course there is CO2 which they produce in larger quantities...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/05/170523144338.htm

The issue is not just confined to diesel engines as that research shows. At some point the question of older (pre Euro5 or 6) cars will have to addressed, in the short term i suspect a ban in city centres like Germany does with their Umwelt Zones may be the way forward.

https://www.umwelt-plakette.de/en/i...es-in-germany/german-environmental-zones.html

Last edited:

alanesmith

Mazda compression ignition petrol engine due in 2019

This should be interesting, as some stated compression engine doesn’t burn as clean as regular Petrol ignition engine

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Mazda compression ignition petrol engine due in 2019

This should be interesting, as some stated compression engine doesn’t burn as clean as regular Petrol ignition engine

Seen info on these...the compression ratio is entering into that of a diesel engine specs...so same problems .....unburnt particulates.....

For maximum cleanliness you need to ignite the fuel & have a complete burn..:cool:

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Euro 6 diesels only achieve low emissions if driven at Austin A35 type acceleration and speeds. Real roadside emissions monitoring show that pollution levels haven't reduced and are up to 6/7 times the EU test requirements. An Opel Zafira was on a German test bed having completed and passed the EU test cycle. It was then driven at normal speeds and accelerations. The various emissions were off the measuring range of the equipment.
Petrol may not be much better, but there aren't so many nasties.
Big engines in lorries and up have enough cost headroom and space to make good emission control equipment feasible.
I'm surprised that cars smaller than Passat etc still have diesel engines. The writing must be on the wall with Polo and Golf Bluemotions, not the Bluemotion Technology, flitted with petrol engines.

Hobby55

Ready to race!
Euro 6 diesels only achieve low emissions if driven at Austin A35 type acceleration and speeds. .

A massive exaggeration, but the principal equally applies to petrol engined cars, especially the di ones which are far more common than that earlier post suggests... They put back fitting particulate traps to petrol engines for three years when Euro 6 was introduced but now they are... Face it, we are going to have to accept full electric cars whether we like it or not fairly soon, i/c engines will go.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Not so. The EU NEDC acceleration is painfully slow - the heaviest acceleration is 0 - 50 kmh in 28 seconds. Probably even slower than the A35!

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
It's well known that the test sequence doesn't even invoke the turbo when driven the way they choose to do so to pass the test..

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Dream on? It's a question of what compromise you want to make. Both are going away in the medium term because their time has been and long gone, but in the meantime diesels are significantly more poisonous to nearby humans, and have been for decades.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Mighty glad I made the switch from diesel to petrol just under 2 years ago. Quieter, smoother and a gem of an engine plus £0 VED. And no diesel puddles to stand in at the pumps!

Hobby55

Ready to race!
I know that i am talking to the blinkered but in one of the motoring mags a while ago there was an article in the petrol vs diesel debate which made a lot of sense.

The author made the point that whilst one fuel made it difficult for people to breathe if it weren't "cleaned" the other one made it difficult for the planet to breathe. So we are stuck between a rock and a hard place as getting rid of one only increases the poisonous effects of the other.

He went on to say that until a viable alternative was available it was best to encourage the manufacturers to clean up both of these two fuels especially as the technology used tends to overlap, think fuel injction, cats and particulate filters to mention just three.

Take your petrolhead blinkers off and join the Real World getting rid of diesel only solves half of the pollution issue the other half, petrol, still remains and is made far worse.

Last edited:

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Not blinkered, I for one totally accept both have to go, but in the mean time the use of diesels brings the pollution directly to our homes, the use of petrols doesn't, as much. Petrol Vs diesel on CO2 output seems moot. Modern petrols are achieving similar miles-per-CO2 as modern diesels are, even if the miles-per-gallon is different.

Hobby55

Ready to race!
You are blinkered because you dont seem to be able to accept that the euro 6 diesels are not like the pre 6 ones emmissions wise. Also petrol emmissions are not clean and do cause pollution "in the homes" try running a petrol engine indoors if you don't believe me though i doubt you'd be so stupid! As said if you get rid of one you increase the pollution of the other. You really need to take that petrol head off and look at the issues without the blinkers.

Last edited:

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Of course they are better at Euro6, and they were better at E5 too, but they still emit significantly more NOx than a petrol engine of similar performance and economy, and that is a key issue for health. That is the basis for my statement.

I didn't say "in the home" I said "to the home", i.e. the street outside it. If you want it be picky...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You are blinkered because you dont seem to be able to accept that the euro 6 diesels are not like the pre 6 ones emmissions wise. You really need to take that petrol head off and look at the issues without the blinkers.

errr WRONG!!!

Emissions Analytics created the EQUA index & conduct real life on the road testing & this is now the standard for environmental testing of cars in UK EU...they did loads last year

list of ALL tested Euro 6 diesels here;-

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/...c7c6b545fd1ffd48a272cb5cde9d4dcbf1cb4967145f6

Category test result A, B, C is Euro 6 lab test result & better...

D, E, F, G, H, is a Euro 4 result or worse...

There are 97 Euro 6 diesel engines which according to the new EQUA index FAIL the Euro 4 lab test....

of those, 10 cars have results of "H" which is 12+ times MORE NOX than the
Euro 6 limit which they are supposed to meet as they are Euro 6 diesel engines..

I suggest that any diesel Euro6 huggers go read up the correct FACTS....

http://equaindex.com/equa-air-quality-index/