GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Golf, Need Some Help

myles1

Ready to race!
Hello everyone!

I have just purchased my first car. A 2017 1.8T Golf TSI Comfortline, with a 5-speed manual transmission. I should be picking up the car in the coming few days, and have been obsessed with figuring out what I'd like to do to it. Unfortunately, I cannot void the warranty. In addition to this, I live in Ontario, Canada; insurance here is ridiculously tight, from what I understand I would be unable to insure a lowered car, even slightly lowered. As much as I wanted a GTI, it was simply too expensive, though I'd love to add some of the sportiness of a GTI to my Golf. Here are the things I'd like to do as of now, bearing in mind they're mostly for cosmetics:

Swap the front headlights to HELIX Golf R Replicas
Swap the taillights to OEM Golf R tail lights, post facelift (MK7.5).
Put some rims on it, I'm thinking 18", though I'm undecided.

Does anyone have experience with 18" wheels on country roads? Will the ride be too rough? Will OEM Sport Springs compromise my warranty? Ultimately I'm looking for some guidance. Is there anything I should do immediately to enhance the driving experience? I'm new to the car modification scene, though I am restricted by insurance, I'd love to become a part of it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and tips!

Edit: Just realized there is a more relevant forum topic I could have posted this in, my apologies!

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
Hey ,
Im from ontario and i have done: straightpipe catback, jb4 , golf r mirror caps euro, euro taillights , vwr springs , BMS intake and turbo inlet , and some OBD eleven mods. For me ive never had any issues with my car being lowered , insurance hasnt come to my house or anything but like my car is 2 finger gaps thats 1 finger lowered then a GTI and on par with a golf r. They showed give you any issues.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Ontario (London) here as well.

With warranty, it only voids that specific part of the car, not the entire warranty.
Eg. Lowering your car would only void suspension, you would still be able to go in for engine, electrical etc.

That being said I'm fairly modified and I have taken my car in for oil changes and even the fuel pump recall. They never say anything.
As for insurance, I've never heard of insurance causing issues with modified cars.

Edit:
Heres my car, you can get a few ideas of what is available.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20934

myles1

Ready to race!
Hey ,
Im from ontario and i have done: straightpipe catback, jb4 , golf r mirror caps euro, euro taillights , vwr springs , BMS intake and turbo inlet , and some OBD eleven mods. For me ive never had any issues with my car being lowered , insurance hasnt come to my house or anything but like my car is 2 finger gaps thats 1 finger lowered then a GTI and on par with a golf r. They showed give you any issues.

Thanks for your input! I'm mostly worried about wheel gap I think. Maybe I'll start shopping around for some springs.

myles1

Ready to race!
Ontario (London) here as well.

With warranty, it only voids that specific part of the car, not the entire warranty.
Eg. Lowering your car would only void suspension, you would still be able to go in for engine, electrical etc.

That being said I'm fairly modified and I have taken my car in for oil changes and even the fuel pump recall. They never say anything.
As for insurance, I've never heard of insurance causing issues with modified cars.

Edit:
Heres my car, you can get a few ideas of what is available.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20934

Your car looks great! Never thought about wheel gap issues before... Certainly makes me think I'll put different springs on it, especially if you've had no issues with insurance. Did you tell them you lowered it? I've heard stories about insurance saying it's fine, then when it's time to renew insurance they send a letter saying they won't be covering you anymore. Worried about something like that happening. Thanks for your input!

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
Your car looks great! Never thought about wheel gap issues before... Certainly makes me think I'll put different springs on it, especially if you've had no issues with insurance. Did you tell them you lowered it? I've heard stories about insurance saying it's fine, then when it's time to renew insurance they send a letter saying they won't be covering you anymore. Worried about something like that happening. Thanks for your input!

Honestly, insurance has never come to my house or anything to inspect my car and i have never called them to say hey i put springs or an exhaust.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I don't know much specifically about Canada, but I know here in the US stuff such as OEM sport springs, etc... retain full warranty when installed by a certified mechanic, and it would seem ridiculous to me if insurance was stricter than VW warranty in regards to modification.

Also something you should definitely consider if you want any more power is the JB4. If you look at the signatures of the people above it is a very common mod. It is a piggyback unit that is about as effective as a proper tune for power (you can expect probably 240chp with this unit alone), but as it's a physical piggyback it can be removed with no trace before being brought in for warranty work.

myles1

Ready to race!
I don't know much specifically about Canada, but I know here in the US stuff such as OEM sport springs, etc... retain full warranty when installed by a certified mechanic, and it would seem ridiculous to me if insurance was stricter than VW warranty in regards to modification.

Also something you should definitely consider if you want any more power is the JB4. If you look at the signatures of the people above it is a very common mod. It is a piggyback unit that is about as effective as a proper tune for power (you can expect probably 240chp with this unit alone), but as it's a physical piggyback it can be removed with no trace before being brought in for warranty work.

Now that is very interesting! I looked at the Stage 1 tunes, though couldn't commit due to the warranty being void because of it. Thanks for this suggestion, will certainly research more!

Ehlectric

Passed Driver's Ed
I would be more so worried about the implications in the event of an accident.

Take a look at the policy. It would most likely tell you!

I was from Ontario, now in Alberta but if you wanted to lower go with the VW DG springs. They lower it enough to get rid of the 4x4 look and it cannot void your warranty because it's VW parts! :D

myles1

Ready to race!
Take a look at the policy. It would most likely tell you!

I was from Ontario, now in Alberta but if you wanted to lower go with the VW DG springs. They lower it enough to get rid of the 4x4 look and it cannot void your warranty because it's VW parts! :D

Thanks mate! That's exactly what I'm going to do. They're affordable too! Do you have them on your car? I'm not sure how much to pay for installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk