GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bird Droppings WTF HAPPENED

Ubermeister

2 days ago I washed, clayed, and used NU Finish "Polish" to seal the paint and then used some Nanowax spray wax from Eagle 1.

The bird poop in the picture had been on the car for at most 4 hours. I tried using quick detailer and that didn't do much of anything, then I tried using some actual polishing compound to remove it that got off the surface debris but still left what looks like an etched stain from the bird poop. I then used some rubbing compound with BARELY any pressure at all and it totally messed up the clearcoat. I used a little more polishing compound right after that to try and clear up the scratches made by the rubbing compound and it still looks like hell with no difference made in the etchings from the bird poop. Do I need to sand this or what?

I care for my car properly as any enthusiast would but I have never had clearcoat react like this to either polish, rubbing compound or bird crap. I know bird crap is very acidic and I have never seen anything like this happen from bird poop before.

Any thoughts or help as to what I can do to fix this mess? It's on the passenger side front quarter panel near the hood.

Sorry for the wall of text I'm a little frustrated :confused:

Thanks!

Attachments

• Birdcrap.jpg
    Birdcrap.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 622

Ubermeister

What I have currently is Turtlewax Polishing Compound which is a finishing polish. I used Turtlewax Rubbing Compound which is a very abrasive paste. I used finishing polish first hoping that would be enough. It wasn't, so I then used the rubbing compound (more abrasive) and after wiping that off I tried to use more of the finishing polish to try and blend away the scratching that the rubbing compound created. The entire thing is still smooth to the touch so the scratches aren't through the clearcoat it seems. I am just a little nervous using much more pressure because the minimal amount of pressure I used on the first attempt created a huge mess.

To top it off I also now have a huge nick on the hood of the car that happened driving through a construction zone. It went all the way down to the bare metal, through primer and everything. Talk about first world problems lol.... /shrugs

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I always use clay bar with good results with stubborn paint contamination

Looks like that might be worth having a shop look at. Good rule of thumb if you wet your finger and put a line across it and the scratches go away, it's just in the clear coat. If not, it's deep and gone through it

rr1santos

Ready to race!
start with claybar...if no go try meguiars 205 with a dual action polisher with lake contry white pad...if still there try megs 205 with orange pad...if you need to go more aggressive then try megs 105 with white pad.. and if even more aggressive then megs 105 and orange pad..then to bring it back to smooth megs 205 with orange and then even megs 205 with white...top with hand buff wax or black or red pad with wax and buff..

Ubermeister

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try and post back!

SM075180

Ready to race!
Meguiars scratch X is some pretty savage stuff. I used it on hard water spots, paint transfer and scratches from a fender bender and a scratch caused by bird droppings on my Dart before I switched to the GTI. Doesn't take much and can honestly be used rather effectively by hand. Just keep applying and removing frequently to check your progress as to not take too much off polishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ubermeister

Didn't get all the scratches out, at certain angles you can see them but they are much better and pretty hard to see unless you know where to look.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_2409.JPG
    IMG_2409.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_2407.JPG
    IMG_2407.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 498

Ubermeister

Used some Meguair's 205 and some toothpaste actually to work at it. A neighbor in my apartment complex works with clear acrylic and projecting holograms on them. He said they use toothpaste to buff out scratches in the acrylic because of how the plastic is made and the way light bounces off it. That's a very short description of what took him 30 minutes to explain. In the end the toothpaste worked very well to get some of the marks off that the Mag's 205 was having a hard time with.