GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

best bbk for R that fits under 18's

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Got it.
If the track you're going to is tough on brakes, no sense in beating up a "compromise" on your pad. A true track pad will give you more of what you're looking for in terms of reliability, feel and modulation. Not to mention the stopping power you're looking for.

Yes, then the Stoptech's are the way to go. You simply pull the wheels off, unbolt the bridge (two bolts), pull the bridge out and yank out the pads and simply replace. Very easy to do and literally takes 5 minutes once you have the wheel off.
I'd change all four corners on my BMW prior to the first run group when I was switching over to my R-comps.
Buddy of mine has a e46 m3 track car for sale but i cant afford a 2nd 40k car haha. Bbk is prob my best bet then

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Blackhawk is pretty hard on brakes and so is road america hence why I think its better to spend the $2300 on a bbk vs $800 on pads/rotors/lines and having to swap stuff out all the time.
Who said you should swap your rotors?

If the track you're going to is tough on brakes, no sense in beating up a "compromise" on your pad. A true track pad will give you more of what you're looking for in terms of reliability, feel and modulation. Not to mention the stopping power you're looking for.
this ^^
I wouldn't recommend running the same pad both DD all year round and on track.
Pagid RS29 is great on track, stock is fine on street.

SRoads

Ready to race!
Noise, dust, stopping power. You can only have 2 of the 3. I pad that has little noise or dust, wont have stopping power...etc. Some carbotech pads have compatible compound(you can swap the pad and use the same rotors). You can go with a intermediate pad like ferodo 2500s, and adjust your driving on track to not cook the pad. I have done track days on stock pads, hawk HP+ pads, ferodo 2500s and other pads that have been suggested here.... I took care to understand the limits of the pad and drove accordingly as no brake pad exists to do exactly what you are trying to do. The best suggestion is an intermediate pad in the $200-250 range and learn to have fun in the limits of the pad. If you are going to do 5 events per year, I would purchase a caliper rebuild kit every few years. Good luck with your choice, but I would not spend $2500 on brakes for a vehicle I am going to discard in 2-3 years as most people do these days. $250 on pads and you have another $2250 to spend on 2-3 good sets of tires. Stock pads should be fine in the rear all day long. The "perfect" pad you are looking for doesn't exist.

Last edited:

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Buddy of mine has a e46 m3 track car for sale but i cant afford a 2nd 40k car haha. Bbk is prob my best bet then

E46 M3's are always expensive track cars, but can be rockets if they're setup correctly.

Here's a pic from the 335 I race. This is with the standard Stoptech BBK. The brakes lasted the full 12 hours without needing a pad replacement (Pagid RS29). The 335 weighed in at 3100lbs. without the driver. They can take the abuse and last and last and last!
Go for slotted rotors. No need to get cross-drilled. They just wear down the pads quicker and weaken the rotors.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    596.4 KB · Views: 327

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
E46 M3's are always expensive track cars, but can be rockets if they're setup correctly.

Here's a pic from the 335 I race. This is with the standard Stoptech BBK. The brakes lasted the full 12 hours without needing a pad replacement (Pagid RS29). The 335 weighed in at 3100lbs. without the driver. They can take the abuse and last and last and last!
Go for slotted rotors. No need to get cross-drilled. They just wear down the pads quicker and weaken the rotors.
He has a 991 gt3 he tracks now but him and another of his friends ran e46 m3 together so its a sorted car. Full cage, brand new smg trans, 3 way coils, supercharger.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
From Milwaukee, road america would be my home track and blackhawk is super fun but its 1:45 drive vs 35 for road america. Event I did was with northwoods shelby club.1st track day in the R, id prob do 5 track events a year. Blackhawk is pretty hard on brakes and so is road america hence why I think its better to spend the $2300 on a bbk vs $800 on pads/rotors/lines and having to swap stuff out all the time. I'm looking for 1 set of pads for year round driving unless the calipers have the easy access swap for pads.

I daily drove my MKV GTI KO4 car and tracked it. It was outfitted with Golf R brakes front and rear. Golf R brake without shields work well at the track with a good set of track pads. Some track pads could be driven on the street too but as you will discover and as I did, there is no one pad that you can use for street and track. Along with fresh Dot4 fluid before each track event a set of track pads will serve you well. It doesn't take much time to switch pads even on Golf R brakes.

Noise, dust, stopping power. You can only have 2 of the 3. I pad that has little noise or dust, wont have stopping power...etc. Some carbotech pads have compatible compound(you can swap the pad and use the same rotors). You can go with a intermediate pad like ferodo 2500s, and adjust your driving on track to not cook the pad. I have done track days on stock pads, hawk HP+ pads, ferodo 2500s and other pads that have been suggested here.... I took care to understand the limits of the pad and drove accordingly as no brake pad exists to do exactly what you are trying to do. The best suggestion is an intermediate pad in the $200-250 range and learn to have fun in the limits of the pad. If you are going to do 5 events per year, I would purchase a caliper rebuild kit every few years. Good luck with your choice, but I would not spend $2500 on brakes for a vehicle I am going to discard in 2-3 years as most people do these days. $250 on pads and you have another $2250 to spend on 2-3 good sets of tires. Stock pads should be fine in the rear all day long. The "perfect" pad you are looking for doesn't exist.
this ^^

and

I daily drove my MKV GTI KO4 car and tracked it. It was outfitted with Golf R brakes front and rear. Golf R brake without shields work well at the track with a good set of track pads. Some track pads could be driven on the street too but as you will discover and as I did, there is no one pad that you can use for street and track. Along with fresh Dot4 fluid before each track event a set of track pads will serve you well. It doesn't take much time to switch pads even on Golf R brakes.
this ^^