GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I would say any of the stock location replacements would be a nice upgrade. I lived in S Florida for 5 years and it's hot. It would be wise investment living down there.

gmi99

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm getting an IC no question. So you all think stock location performs better, even in stop and go with max AC? I guess I was just thinking that an IC with more mass (eg. bar/plate) sandwiched in the stock location would just absorb all that compressor heat and take longer at speed to cool back down.

ashiun

Ready to race!

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
How long can you log? I'd log for an extended period of time, with a few runs up, cruising, etc. Shows you better how the IC is working.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

dub_guy

Ready to race!
https://datazap.me/u/ashiun/oct-16-...midity-additive?log=0&data=1-4-6&zoom=189-313

Cruises at way higher temps than my stock IC did, but drops the temps significantly under WOT. I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing here Lol.

48f ambient. 107 iat in light traffic, drops down to 62f under WOT. Would have liked it to be less than 14f above ambient.

Any metal that is going the shed heat efficiently, will also heat up efficiently. I suspect that at city speeds, the hot compressed air out of the turbo is doing a better job of heating the IC than the ambient air running over it can cool it. Once you get WOT, the ambient air can draw off more heat, cooling the IC down.

ashiun

Ready to race!
I'll get another long log in sometime. I think I was just expecting too much.

Any metal that is going the shed heat efficiently, will also heat up efficiently. I suspect that at city speeds, the hot compressed air out of the turbo is doing a better job of heating the IC than the ambient air running over it can cool it. Once you get WOT, the ambient air can draw off more heat, cooling the IC down.

That... actually makes a lot of sense Lol. Though my IATs only go up whenever I'm off boost. As soon as I get even like... 4 psi flowing I drop 10f instantly.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion

That... actually makes a lot of sense Lol. Though my IATs only go up whenever I'm off boost. As soon as I get even like... 4 psi flowing I drop 10f instantly.

Your good. Kicking around town is not going to matter. I hope to get my tank in this weekend. :).

dub_guy

Ready to race!

Here's the most important thing - is your ECU changing any performance stat due to IAT? No - then you're fine, no matter what the temperature drop is. So long as your IC is keeping the IAT down so that the ECU is not changing performance, it is good.

The biggest advantage of your IC vs stock will be that you can hammer on it more (and maybe indefinitely) in hot weather and not get heat soak where the intercooler just can deal with it anymore.

ashiun

Ready to race!
Confidence inspiring. You guys are the best :)

ashiun

Ready to race!
Funny timing, that.

My radiator just separated itself from my intercooler during my drive today, and my radiator coolant hose or whatever blew the hell up and sprayed coolant all over my engine bay. Coolant reservoir sitting at a solid 0.

Had it towed back to the shop that installed it since the install was probably botched somehow, given that the rad mounts to the intercooler and everything is clipped together.

I went probably 3 minutes at low speed with the coolant light on... no shoulder for me to pull off onto. Here's to hoping my head gasket/cylinder head is still ok...

Last edited:

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Funny timing, that.

My radiator just separated itself from my intercooler during my drive today, and my radiator coolant hose or whatever blew the hell up and sprayed coolant all over my engine bay. Coolant reservoir sitting at a solid 0.

Had it towed back to the shop that installed it since the install was probably botched somehow, given that the rad mounts to the intercooler and everything is clipped together.

I went probably 3 minutes at low speed with the coolant light on... no shoulder for me to pull off onto. Here's to hoping my head gasket/cylinder head is still ok...

Guaranteed they screwed it up.

There's no way they can separate if everything is fastened correctly.

ashiun

Ready to race!
Guaranteed they screwed it up.

There's no way they can separate if everything is fastened correctly.

I dropped it off at their shop and they're taking a look at it today.

I'm just worried there's going to be engine damage... I'd be the happiest dude alive if they call me back and tell me the radiator and hoses have been fixed and that's it. Now on the other hand, if they call back and tell me about a warped head gasket/cylinder head...