GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs R

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Mighy be a mild setting jb4 R. Im thinking he was stock tune with maybe a dp? Whos to say.
Bottom line you beat a R. nothing to crazy, i could see being wtf if it was a high hp exotic. But it was a R. Think the people in this forum with a car brain can all agree, if it was a apr like staged car, the outcome be different. Just like the is20 gti, the is38 R wakes the fuck up with a legitimate flash and or stage 2 bolt ons.

Anyways kudos.

Tico63

Ready to race!
Mighy be a mild setting jb4 R. Im thinking he was stock tune with maybe a dp? Whos to say.
Bottom line you beat a R. nothing to crazy, i could see being wtf if it was a high hp exotic. But it was a R. Think the people in this forum with a car brain can all agree, if it was a apr like staged car, the outcome be different. Just like the is20 gti, the is38 R wakes the fuck up with a legitimate flash and or stage 2 bolt ons.

Anyways kudos.

I guess my excitement came from the idea that he had something like an apr tune. But it's probably likely that it's a mild setting jb4 like you said.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I guess my excitement came from the idea that he had something like an apr tune. But it's probably likely that it's a mild setting jb4 like you said.

I hate to burst your bubble, but most likely it just had a cat back and that's it. A stage 1 APR gti will trap 108-109. A stock DSG Golf R traps like 106. Pretty much a couple of car lengths at most. Any tune, even a JB1 would have him trapping 110-112 with ease.

Tico63

Ready to race!
I hate to burst your bubble, but most likely it just had a cat back and that's it. A stage 1 APR gti will trap 108-109. A stock DSG Golf R traps like 106. Pretty much a couple of car lengths at most. Any tune, even a JB1 would have him trapping 110-112 with ease.

Bubble's not bursted, thanks though.

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
That's it, I'm trading in my R for a GTI!

Just kidding, nice kill doe! Rolling from 55 makes sense with a tune. The R has Haldex hardware that would normally be utilized from a dig but in this case weighs it down. Do both cars have the same trans?

Tico63

Ready to race!
That's it, I'm trading in my R for a GTI!

Just kidding, nice kill doe! Rolling from 55 makes sense with a tune. The R has Haldex hardware that would normally be utilized from a dig but in this case weighs it down. Do both cars have the same trans?

I'm very certain he had a dsg. Yeah honestly I would take an R any day of the week. It's the perfect platform to sustain all the power mods.

fabric8

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm very certain he had a dsg. Yeah honestly I would take an R any day of the week. It's the perfect platform to sustain all the power mods.
Nice kill. I watched the vid a few times over. The R was in the wrong gear for that 55mph roll though. Whatever gear it was in, it was too high in the rpm range. You can clearly hear it shift shortly after the start, whereas you were under 4k at 55mph, ready to make full boost and pull through to redline.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
The R that lost: 6MT/DP/APR Stage2. The guy was definitely in the wrong gear (probably 4th or 5th) to begin with. By the time he recovered it was too late.

Tico63

Ready to race!
Nice kill. I watched the vid a few times over. The R was in the wrong gear for that 55mph roll though. Whatever gear it was in, it was too high in the rpm range. You can clearly hear it shift shortly after the start, whereas you were under 4k at 55mph, ready to make full boost and pull through to redline.

That's exactly what I think happened. I started in 3rd gear, I think he was in second. We both hit it at about 50ish and he immediately shifted. Which ended up being the car distance between us, just those 2-3 seconds.

Good catch.

fabric8

Passed Driver's Ed
That's exactly what I think happened. I started in 3rd gear, I think he was in second. We both hit it at about 50ish and he immediately shifted. Which ended up being the car distance between us, just those 2-3 seconds.

Good catch.
It's still a worthy kill though. Even if someone has more power, if they don't know how to use it (being on the wrong gear, mis-shifts or slow reaction times), then that power is pointless. The same principle applies to track days.

I used to track an E46 M3 for fun. My 1st time out, I thought I was going fast until I was getting passed by 1990's miata's and cooper's. I got served a lot of humble pie. After a number of events, I was passing Vettes and 911's. My most memorable kill was a Ford GT. He wouldn't let me pass and would always pull away several car lengths on the straights, but as soon as the turns came, I was right on his ass and he couldn't shake me. After a few laps, he waved me by.

Last edited: