GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VCDS Idle Adjustment?

flip7

Ready to race!
hi,

Is idle RPM adjustable via VCDS on 16 GTI 6MT?

I tried the RPM IDLE Adjustment channel in Engine, it was set to 0/min changed it to 50/min - but did not make a difference for me.

Engine was warmed up BTW .

Suggestions?

VWGTI

Ready to race!
Dunno about VCDS, but I was able to adjust the idle from 400rpm - 1100rpm using OBDEleven

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Dunno about VCDS, but I was able to adjust the idle from 400rpm - 1100rpm using OBDEleven

Can you give the steps on what you did? Should be a similar process for vcds.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt

Huh?!

It was my understanding that you could only increase idle speed by 50 RPM using the idle trim adjustment.

VWGTI

Ready to race!
Huh?!

It was my understanding that you could only increase idle speed by 50 RPM using the idle trim adjustment.

I could be remembering it wrong because I played with it over a year ago so I might be exaggerating, but it was definitely more than 50RPM.

Can you give the steps on what you did? Should be a similar process for vcds.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In OBDEleven, just drop down into engine adjustment and open up Engine Idle Speed. I just played with the numbers just to see the range and then returned back to the stock idle

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Weird, I had no issues adjusting mine. You said the engine was warm, but any chance it wasn't hot enough? Maybe go on a long drive first to get it nice and hot (if you didn't try that already). Also, did you try adjusting it while the engine is running? The idle would definitely change for me while adjusting up/down. Beyond that, I'm out of ideas!

To echo what everyone else says: if anyone legitimately knows of a way to adjust idle by more than 50 RPM with OBD11 or VCDS and posts the coding, that would be outstanding! Not holding my breath though :D

flip7

Ready to race!
It was after driving 22 miles in 75F weather and being stopped maybe 5 minutes. Did not measure any temp. So pretty hot to me. I tied adjusting it with engine running - no diff. Around 800 rpms. What channel did you adjust?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
excuse ignorance, whats the benefit in doing this?

ashiun

Ready to race!

400rpm?! How is that possible? Does your engine not just stall at that point?

Mine (and every other I've seen) idles at 700. I'm also looking to increase it to 750.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
From past VCDS posts where people said it had the coding to change the idle, when logging no matter the value i put in it wouldn't adjust higher than ~50rpm.

flip7

Ready to race!
I concur - the above mentioned method works, but 50RPMs is maximum adjustment.

I guess yesterday, my AC was on - or something else was going on, and I did not notice the REV increasing.

Cheers!

Hotfart

Ready to race!
It was after driving 22 miles in 75F weather and being stopped maybe 5 minutes. Did not measure any temp. So pretty hot to me. I tied adjusting it with engine running - no diff. Around 800 rpms. What channel did you adjust?

Yeah, sounds like you should have been plenty warm. I'm at work so I can't look to confirm, but am 99.9% sure I adjusted the same channel as you, RPM Idle Adjustment. Just throwing ideas out there, was the a/c on when adjusting? If so, maybe try it when all accessories are off.

excuse ignorance, whats the benefit in doing this?

For myself, it's mainly to combat NVH from the dogbone puck. It definitely helps, but 50 RPM isn't much to play with. Others do it for increased oil pressure at idle and/or for smoother stop & go driving with 6MT.