GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

False neutral DSG

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone experienced false neutrals in their DSG with or without TCU tunes?

I had my first experience with it and it sucked. Downshifted two gears into 2nd approached a turn, slowed down then made the right time and RPM's just spiked.

Popped it back into D and drove fine right away.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Which TCU tune?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Ah, haven't experienced it yet myself. My bad habit is to downshift with paddles and forget I'm not in Manual mode, then try to upshift with the stick while my wheel is turned and I can't reach the paddles. That of course throws it in neutral and I rev the shit out of it and feel like a tard.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Ah, haven't experienced it yet myself. My bad habit is to downshift with paddles and forget I'm not in Manual mode, then try to upshift with the stick while my wheel is turned and I can't reach the paddles. That of course throws it in neutral and I rev the shit out of it and feel like a tard.

Ya most of my shift are done with the stick. The paddles rarely get used. Too hard to try to find them during turns haha.

I think I may have confused the tranny during my acceleration. Was in second slow crawled to make my turn and it might have been the change over into first
But who knows.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I had it stall once going over an uphill speedbump. RPM's dropped to 0, car died. Started right back up with no issues, though.

This was on the APR TCU tune. No issues for 40k mi on the stock tune.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
I had it stall once going over an uphill speedbump. RPM's dropped to 0, car died. Started right back up with no issues, though.

This was on the APR TCU tune. No issues for 40k mi on the stock tune.

All of my research indicates that hills are where these issues occur most. Stall or False Neutral.

Going to do the DSG service and readapt the DSG. Don't want this happening during highway drives when I downshift, would be pretty dangerous.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Your DSG is gone part out sell car!!!!
JK hills is only where I have noticed this too.

That will be impossible to happen on highway drives as you are never in a go gear like first.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Your DSG is gone part out sell car!!!!
JK hills is only where I have noticed this too.

That will be impossible to happen on highway drives as you are never in a go gear like first.

Youtube DSG False Neutral, some of those videos on the street driving is pretty scary. But none were MK7 only MK5 + MK6. In some cases, it happened to cars driving uphill slowly and the car downshifted into a lower gear due to traffic or slowing down. When that happened they lost all power and RPM's would just climb and spike, had to turn car off and on in the middle of driving.

I'm actually quite surprised no one had reoccurring issues though. It seems it was quite the issue during the older days. I guess MK7's are less prone or the DSG software from the factory is just better. Sucks to see it starting to happen again though.

But back in the day these issues would result in full Mechatronics unit replacement under warranty. $5,000 job for parts an labor it seems.

Last edited:

TDI Matt

Ready to race!

Lol so glad I’m not the only one. I feel like such an idiot haha I essentially stalled an automatic. At least that’s why they see behind me.

_dvorak

Ready to race!

lmao - yep I've done this more than I'd like to admit.