GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 Port & Polish Or Not?

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
My Turbo will be arriving a G Pop soon. This will be an upgrade on my gti.

I am not sure if I should ceramic coat or p&p.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I’m not chasing every hp as it will have traction issues anyway. But I like making things efficient.

Thoughts?

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Curious on answer as I will be in same boat soon

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Can’t answer your question specifically, but can strongly suggest a turbo balance for reliability/peace of mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Can’t answer your question specifically, but can strongly suggest a turbo balance for reliability/peace of mind

I'm 99% sure that's what G pop does, which is a very good idea

Cleaning up the housing never hurts, if it's worth the time is another question. I wouldn't call it port and polish tho...but Ik were you were going with that.

Unless you're talking ported WG, same answer tho. Probably not really worth the time

I'd assume you're referring to ceramic coating the hot side housing. A turbo blanket would be a more effective solution to a kinda non existent problem.

I'd just install, reflash, and enjoy after it's balanced

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Not even sure people even recommend turbo blankets on these cars, I could be wrong. That being said, having it balanced is probably all you need.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'd assume you're referring to ceramic coating the hot side housing. A turbo blanket would be a more effective solution to a kinda non existent problem.

I'd just install, reflash, and enjoy after it's balanced

Not even sure people even recommend turbo blankets on these cars, I could be wrong. That being said, having it balanced is probably all you need.

Wasn't really recommended, just given a slightly less pointless way to spend more money

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
I agree with the ceramic coating of the turbine and non existent problem. I just wasn’t sure if people benfitted from it maybe with spool up. But I’m sure that’s not measurable.

It is getting balanced for sure. Just not sure if I should have them do anything else while it’s there.

Dbv2 posted pics about their porting of the exhaust side it seemed decent.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I agree with the ceramic coating of the turbine and non existent problem. I just wasn’t sure if people benfitted from it maybe with spool up. But I’m sure that’s not measurable.

It is getting balanced for sure. Just not sure if I should have them do anything else while it’s there.

Dbv2 posted pics about their porting of the exhaust side it seemed decent.

If it cost $50 or less go for it I guess, anything more than that id pass

Reason being boost creep is the issue that would resolve. We don't really see that issue on this platform

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I got it done. I haven't installed it yet though.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
They rebuilt, balanced and P&P.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion

x2. Turbo blankets can be extremely dangerous on cars. Oil and grease can get trapped there and accumulate on the blanket over time. That creates a recipe for fire and it only took a few of them to catch on fire in the Miata world for the public perspective of them to go down the drain. I've even heard of some tracks wanting to ban them as a fire hazard.

If you're worried about heat and like to waste money, a quality coating job is the best you can do. But even then, there's maybe like 5 guys that actually race their cars hard enough here to need that.