GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC light came on today for first time...

stdong

Passed Driver's Ed
This morning I did a hard WOT pull to redline and during 3rd gear the epc light came on and I had barely any boost. I'm APR stage 2 tuned with the stock turbo and have never had an issue with anything until today. I turned the car off and on again and the EPC light cleared and I did a few more hard pulls and everything seemed fine. If anyone knows why this happened or thinks I should get the car checked out by a shop please leave some input. Thanks

stdong

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't :/

I read some other forums and someone said that bad gas could potentially trigger the EPC or maybe carbon buildup. Idk, but the good news is my car drives fine for now but maybe i'll drive it easy until i know why it happened. Gonna call my tuning shop on Monday and see what they say.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
They'll tell you just to drive the car. If the CEL comes back try to scan it while it's on. Chances are it's just a cat efficiency fault because of the DP. Stage 2 has two versions from what I've heard...one turns off the rear o2 the other adjusts its sensitivity (this is second hand)

Anyway, if it went away without clearing it I wouldn't lose sleep over it

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
In my experience it could be a variety of things, all pretty minor and nothing you really need to worry about. It might be what Gti jake said, or it's possible it was a misfire if you're on stock plugs, or once I had an underboost error a while on a track at altitude. If there isn't a light on your dashboard after you restarted that would suggest the misfire to me, but you'll know for certain if you get a scan too. I recommend OBDEleven, it's only $60 including the software and is really as good as any other scan tool.

stdong

Passed Driver's Ed
I am still on stock plugs and have been for about 20k miles and 5k on stage 2. I am also at elevation (Salt Lake City) so yeah it's probably one of those things you mentioned @MeltedSolid. Thanks for the insight too @GtiJake.

I might get the OBDEleven just for peace of mind.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
So the consensus is this might be caused by the oem plugs and the car being tuned / producing more heat ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joel

Ready to race!
The consensus is plug it in to a diagnostic tool and get the code.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
+1 joel. Autozone has a scanner. Or just buy an OBDeleven (its not that expensive). If I had to guess, misfire, going to be plug/coil related. APR tells you to swap your plugs when running their tunes, so I'd point at the stock plugs as a possible culprit.