GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JJ's R Build

CDN_MKV

Wakka Wakka
Car(s)
07 UG GTI
Finally some finished photos. Car has settled a lot in the past couple days it seems. We'll revisit height/alignment after it has some mileage on it.

I've removed the rear seats since they're dead weight at the track and saw this carpet online in someone eles's R so ordered one and put it in today. Looks fantastic and dampens a bit of the road noise which is nice.

Last edited:

CDN_MKV

Wakka Wakka
Car(s)
07 UG GTI
Here is some feedback after my first few days.

Sachs Performance Clutch:
- Pedal feel is at least 2x stiffer than stock
- It had a lot of chatter to start but is slowly getting smoother as I put mileage on it.
- Engagment is hard to gauge right now. I'll write more once it has some mileage.

Suspension

Initial Alignment: -2 static Camber all around. 0 toe all around.
It looked almost stock ride height when I got it back but it's settled nicely even in the past two days and it's sitting pretty close to where I want it. We want to be sure it's not too low mainly watching bump steer etc. The goal is not how low we can go but how well we can make it handle at the track.

Ohlins
- Expecting a lot from these. I think right now I have it on a relatively stiff setting (5). I'll be dialing it a bit bit softer this weekend to see what feels good around town but right now feel and response is very nice.

RSe10 / RE71R 255/35/18
It's nice to fit these under the car with relative ease. Some liner rubbing in the rear so we did some adjustments to the liner. Front seems perfect. These tires are much stiffer also than the conti's so feel a lot more of the road.

Downpipe
- Not too much to say here. Tone of the exhaust changed just slightly. A bit more raspy/throaty which is perfect. Can't wait to get on it and hear what WoT sounds like. Just a few more 100kms for the clutch before we go there though.

APR Stage 2
- Flashed to APR Stage 2 today (which I had to pay for - suck it APR) now that I have the downpipe and clutch in. I was getting a cel with stage 1 after the dp was installed but stage 2 has fixed that. Waiting for the clutch to break in before I go nuts with the throttle though.

Last edited:

CDN_MKV

Wakka Wakka
Car(s)
07 UG GTI
very nice!

what are the camber settings in the front and rear? it makes the 18x9 255/35 setup work perfectly

Yeah, I think they look perfect. -2 and 0 toe all around.

CDN_MKV

Wakka Wakka
Car(s)
07 UG GTI
First track day today with the new setup. I personally haven't tracked in about 4 years so aside from figuring out the car, I was dusting the cobwebs off and just getting back into the feel of things.

The car overall worked well. This is the first time I've really wound it out with a tune since I literally just broke the clutch in. APR stage 2 doesn't disappoint. It hauls ass.

Overall posture of the car was pretty decent. The Ohlins aren't quite as stiff as I had hoped but it'll be a great dual-purpose car.

Braking was fantastic with the DS2500 pads upfront and ohlins set to a 3 front / 2 rear (0 being full stiff). Turn-in also felt really good. I feel like it started to wash out a bit mid-corner so I did try softening the front to 4 but it was a bit more divey in the braking zones causing the rear to wobble a bit also so I went back to 3. Might try rear on full stiff next time.

Had the front sway bar on soft, rear on stiff but really didn't have that stiff rear bar feel, maybe because I have a front bar on also (first time for me having both).

I admittedly also over-drove here and there. I knew when I had I and reeled it in a bit. It's all part of learning the car and getting it set up. Need to know where the limits are and honestly just need to remember how to drive properly too!

Super rusty on heal-toe downshifts. I was wishing I had a DSG today let me tell you. I'll get better. I think one of my next purchases will be a short shifter. Feel of the stock shifter did not help.

I would call the shake-down a success. I'll post pics if there I get any.

Cheers!
JJ