GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tracking in the rain/wet

teemmy

Ready to race!
Hi fellow mk7ers,

I registered for a track day in November and I'm worried that it may rain on my track day. I did a quick search on rain/wet in this forum but nothing popped up. I'll be going to a track that I'm familiar with, but I don't know much about wet driving. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I've tracked once before in the wet, at Thunderhill raceway. It was with my old, completely stock mk6 golf 2.5, so only a bit of this will carry over. Out on the track it was pretty much the same as out on the track while dry, but a lot slower. It was actually really good to learn this way because everything happened at a pace I could keep up with, but of course this was with a low power car with all seasons, so I wasn't exactly worrying about spinning the wheels anywhere. You have an IS38, and I'm not sure what tires but I bet they're summer tires, so you will definitely have an exciting time. I would leave traction and stability control fully on, but don't be afraid to push the limits a bit.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Just be attentive, ready to correct the over steering of the car and have fun and if possible record it, we would love to watch it!

Zacr811

Ready to race!
stay off the normal driving line as the rubber from years of driving makes it very slick. apexs are wider and when you do cross the driving line make sure your wheels are straight and you are in control.

That being said....take it easy.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
stay off the normal driving line as the rubber from years of driving makes it very slick. apexs are wider and when you do cross the driving line make sure your wheels are straight and you are in control.

That being said....take it easy.
This. +1

It's fun and worth the experience.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I've tracked once before in the wet, at Thunderhill raceway. It was with my old, completely stock mk6 golf 2.5, so only a bit of this will carry over. Out on the track it was pretty much the same as out on the track while dry, but a lot slower. It was actually really good to learn this way because everything happened at a pace I could keep up with, but of course this was with a low power car with all seasons, so I wasn't exactly worrying about spinning the wheels anywhere. You have an IS38, and I'm not sure what tires but I bet they're summer tires, so you will definitely have an exciting time. I would leave traction and stability control fully on, but don't be afraid to push the limits a bit.

So when are you gonna let me show you around T-hill at a FunTrackDayz day?!

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
So when are you gonna let me show you around T-hill at a FunTrackDayz day?!

As soon as they let me bring a car to that event :p. I do want to get out to a track day again, Thunderhill is super fun. OP, which track are you going to, Thunderhill or Sonoma? Or somewhere else I don't even know about?

teemmy

Ready to race!
Thanks, I heard it's a good experience but I still hope it's dry so I can drive faster :) I will definitely take it easy if it's wet outside!

mayhem_j30

Passed Driver's Ed
Raining at the track is just another great opportunity to learn in a different environment. Even better because most people stay in instead of going out. Guess they're afraid of getting their trailer Queens dirty. Love it, embrace it and become better than the rest.

AR11

Ready to race!

The most important thing you can do is RainX the shit out of your windshield to maximize vision. Consider bringing a charcoal canister to absorb moisture and keep the fog down inside. Its still fun and productive to drive in the rain as long as you can throw away any hope of going fast or setting good times.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

The most important thing you can do is RainX the shit out of your windshield to maximize vision. Consider bringing a charcoal canister to absorb moisture and keep the fog down inside. Its still fun and productive to drive in the rain as long as you can throw away any hope of going fast or setting good times.

Why can't you go fast in the rain? Just takes a lot of balls tbh