GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Diesel engine software mods

Hobby55

Ready to race!
There were a load of tests carried out by the roadside and petrol engines also broke all thieir guidelines. I am not a diesel hugger i am a realist but you petrol huggers need to admit to yourselves that petrol engines are also polluters and getting rid of one fuel will not currently solve the problem, just move it...

Btw that bottom link just concentrates on one polutant which is how we got into the mess we have at the moment. We need to look at the bigger picture i.e. all emmissions before doing yet another knee jerk reaction you are proposing.

One thing that needs to be addressed us the size/weight of cars. Reduce size and emmissions reduce... Do we really need all those big 4x4s and SUVs for a start... Time to look at the bigger picture.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
There were a load of tests carried out by the roadside and petrol engines also broke all thieir guidelines. I am not a diesel hugger i am a realist but you petrol huggers need to admit to yourselves that petrol engines are also polluters and getting rid of one fuel will not currently solve the problem, just move it...

Btw that bottom link just concentrates on one polutant which is how we got into the mess we have at the moment. We need to look at the bigger picture i.e. all emmissions before doing yet another knee jerk reaction you are proposing.

One thing that needs to be addressed us the size/weight of cars. Reduce size and emmissions reduce... Do we really need all those big 4x4s and SUVs for a start... Time to look at the bigger picture.

I was countering your statement of:- "You are blinkered because you dont seem to be able to accept that the euro 6 diesels are not like the pre 6 ones emmissions wise""

That list in the link proves that "emissions wise" in the real world that quite a few Euro 6 diesels do not even met the older Euro 4 regs..therefore your statement is incorrect.

Nox was well known about way back & which is why in the 80's there were learn burn petrol engines (FIRE) etc ...but then the development stalled because of the EU & they concentrated on Co2...all those in the know knew about the Nox..but got ignored...

never owned diesel & refuse to own one like my late step father...& he refused because he knew about the Nox etc...as he was a consultant heat transfer engineer & designed flue gas washing plants amongst other things.

Yes nox is one part....but that is the only major one which has been ignored...so yes look at the real world mpg test here:-

http://equaindex.com/equa-fuel-economy-index/

then look at the real world carbon monoxide results here:-

http://equaindex.com/equa-carbon-monoxide-index/

then the carbon dioxide:-
http://equaindex.com/equa-carbon-dioxide/

I have checked my engine & its very clean & as I run it on shell vpower its even cleaner. I know is the case as previous car which I ran on this the MOT tests always showed 100th of the allowed amounts for the test.

I am not a diesel hugger i am a realist ...
Excuse me, but this is quite hard to believe. All you say seems based on half-whisdom.
Diesel engines still emit significantly more NOx than a petrol engine. That's plain chemistry.
You can fight NOx emissions by using SCR cats and urea injection but the original issue
remains -burning Diesel is dirty. Not to mention commercial vehicles, ships, trains etc..

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Excuse me, but this is quite hard to believe. All you say seems based on half-whisdom.
Diesel engines still emit significantly more NOx than a petrol engine. That's plain chemistry.
You can fight NOx emissions by using SCR cats and urea injection but the original issue
remains -burning Diesel is dirty. Not to mention commercial vehicles, ships, trains etc..

The commercial vehicles, especially ships are what are really killing us

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Ships are polluting miles out at sea; what's killing us is idling engines in the streets and junctions by our homes and workplaces. CO2 emissions from ships are killing us, but that is a longer term concern.

I wouldn't call myself a petrol hugger, I am under no illusion about how stupid it is to burn fuel to make a car go. But I am confident the science tells me that diesels are a clear and present danger to my health, and petrol cars less so. While we aren't ready to move to fully electric we really should be moving away to the least bad of the two viable choices.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG