GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rotary polisher thoughts?

armedferret

Ready to race!
If you're just learning and don't want to spend a lot till you get technique down, I picked up the Harbor Freight 6" and it's worked great. Swap out the backing plate for a decent one though; the "nub" that is riveted to the plate that screws into the machine is never straight. 12 bucks for a backing plate off amazon and it's perfect. Once the plate is swapped, using decent quality pads/product and focusing on technique will get you much more consistent results than the name on the side of your machine.

Actually has less vibration than the PC, and I got it for under 60 bucks. Sure it probably won't last as long and I don't expect it to. But as I learn on my car and my wife's car, I can start branching out and doing minor correction/sealing for friends (on the cheap naturally), and set that money aside for a Rupes.

Yes, Harbor Freight has a well-deserved reputation for peddling chinese crap (kinda like everything on Aliexpress/Alibaba) but unlike Ali, there are some diamonds in the rough. They have a couple wood lathes that are actually downright impressive, their torque wrenches rate up there with stuff well into 3-figure pricing, and their welding masks come in handy for solar eclipses. :D

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Porter Cable DA is like 1/3 the cost and works just fine.
Most popular orbitals work fine, but when you first pull the trigger on a Rupes, you have to look at it to make sure it's on it's so smooth. Also, I cannot use a orbital that doesn't have the variable trigger, it's a must from now on. My 6" Griot's doesn't have that feature and it kills it. But, unless you do it often enough a Rupes is not worth it. I use mine about once a month.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If you're just learning and don't want to spend a lot till you get technique down, I picked up the Harbor Freight 6" and it's worked great. Swap out the backing plate for a decent one though; the "nub" that is riveted to the plate that screws into the machine is never straight. 12 bucks for a backing plate off amazon and it's perfect. Once the plate is swapped, using decent quality pads/product and focusing on technique will get you much more consistent results than the name on the side of your machine.

Actually has less vibration than the PC, and I got it for under 60 bucks. Sure it probably won't last as long and I don't expect it to. But as I learn on my car and my wife's car, I can start branching out and doing minor correction/sealing for friends (on the cheap naturally), and set that money aside for a Rupes.

Yes, Harbor Freight has a well-deserved reputation for peddling chinese crap (kinda like everything on Aliexpress/Alibaba) but unlike Ali, there are some diamonds in the rough. They have a couple wood lathes that are actually downright impressive, their torque wrenches rate up there with stuff well into 3-figure pricing, and their welding masks come in handy for solar eclipses. :D

I have the cheap Harbor Freight direct-drive one. OP, learn how to use direct drive and use quality lambswool pads. It takes forever to buff with a DA and won't give you the same shine..

wiredbean

Passed Driver's Ed
I was just looking at the HB freight as I read about it yesterday in a detailing thread. This is good info. thanks!!! A basic detailing here in the city is $300. So i don't mind spending it if it's worth it since it will be re allocated funds. But also don't want to waste money in a stupid way. But that said if a tool is a pain to use I won't , even if it was a great deal. My jack is from harbor freight , I like them! Also appreciate what you all say since we're working on the same car and need the same flexibility. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Anyone have any experience with this one? It's an orbital so I'm guessing it'll be pretty safe (I'm a noob)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BKT63XM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My friend bought one of those for his first, I have never used it, but he says his vibrates a lot more then he expected or described. He says he feels like he was using an air chisel for awhile afterwards, like the tingly arms. So idk...

I can speak to the Griot's in the price range, and it was pretty solid. Plus Griot's customer support is awesome. My on/off switch broke I had a new one at my door in 4 days.

armedferret

Ready to race!
Which HF one are we talking about? I bought my Porter Cable 7424XP new for $90 at Home Depot. I don't think that's too far from HF prices. I buy lots of stuff at HF, just seems like a few dollars more is worth it in this case.

1. The 6".

2. Exactly which year did you buy it at that price, and are you sure you didn't get an open-box or returned item or some other clearance? Amazon's the cheapest I've seen and it's 120 dollars, more than twice what the HF one can be had for (there's a 25% off coupon floating around for labor day; the DA goes for 70 without a sale, which puts it just a hair over 50 with the coupon). Even if you buy chemical guys stuff in their god-awful leak-tastic bottles, you can get a fair amount of OTHER products to round out the setup with that additional 67.50 or so.

Learn with that, maybe even do a few friends' cars here and there for a couple hundred bucks, and get your Rupes.

This isn't to say that the PC isn't a great unit; it certainly is. But many reviews I've seen have also stated the PC has more vibration felt than the HF, and with the spare set of brushes included with the HF it'll last WELL past the learning stage and into "doing it for money" stage if that's a person's goal. I'm not going to stand up and sing the praises of everything they sell, mind you. Most of their stuff is in fact really craptastic. But the DA is one of the really great things they sell considering the price point. I'd be surprised if it wasn't made in the same factory as the PC, if i'm 100% honest.