GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shifter Panel trim removal

eaglekeeper

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd like to give the automatic shifter boot and surrounding trim panel a thorough cleaning and wondered how the panel is affixed. I'm thinking it simply snaps down into place but in case there's a trick to it I don't want to be a caveman about it and bend it. Thx.

SM075180

Ready to race!
I'd like to give the automatic shifter boot and surrounding trim panel a thorough cleaning and wondered how the panel is affixed. I'm thinking it simply snaps down into place but in case there's a trick to it I don't want to be a caveman about it and bend it. Thx.

In the manual transmission the boot is held in place by two hidden tabs on the forward side of the boot surround which point down. I hope that gives you a starting point to find the info you need. GrizzlyTV has a shift knob replacement video that shows it being removed. You press them by touching through the leather without any visual at all.

I can't say for sure it would be the same but it's a start?

Maybe try an old toothbrush and air duster can first?

eaglekeeper

Passed Driver's Ed
Just watched the tutorial on GTV. No wonder these cars cost what they do. Amazing. Think I'll try your suggestion of old 'soft' toothbrush. I recently bought this car and I'm much tidier than previous owner so my cleaning and upkeep on the interior should keep it real sharp. Thx for responding...

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Just watched the tutorial on GTV. No wonder these cars cost what they do. Amazing. Think I'll try your suggestion of old 'soft' toothbrush. I recently bought this car and I'm much tidier than previous owner so my cleaning and upkeep on the interior should keep it real sharp. Thx for responding...

Careful on the tooth brush.
Tooth brush bristles are abrasive on even your teeth.
I would suggest a detailers brush.
It looks like a paint brush, but made for car detailing.
Use dry to dust or with interior cleaner.

Check Chemical Guys or eBay.
Search under car detailers brush.
Can use for engine, dash, seats, etc.
Well, one for each and keep seperate for next time.
On You Tube search "AMMO NYC".
This guy details as a job but gives instructions everyone can follow.
Good source of detail info.