GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

7.5 interior updates

Varinn

Passed Driver's Ed
I was set on the MK7 but being in Canada that wide range of paint options is making it more appealing to do a factory order. My big issues is that I don't like the interior updates as much as the original MK7 setup. I dropped in at a dealer who didn't have an '18 R in stock, but they did have the '17 R and an '18 Tiguan/Golf Wagon to compare (The tiguan had the same or a very similar cluster).

My immediate reaction to the digital dash was disappointment, I knew I would likely not be fond of it but I was even less impressed than I had imagined. The digital cockpit has some cool concepts but I found it gave off a feeling of lacking any depth. The colors and lighting on it just doesn't have the same feeling of quality that the true gauges do. The touch buttons on the center console screen are sleek looking but less tactile and more prone to fingerprints. TBH I don't see much benefit of the features that the cluster promoted either, most of the things aren't really much benefit (including the NAV map option)

Has anyone else with similar concerns ordered a 2018 Golf R and had their impression change after receiving and driving the car for a bit? In the time I played around I didn't think to dim the cluster lights to see if it helped with the gauge appearance but I don't have high hopes. Would I need to chock it up to being the one major gripe with an otherwise fantastic car?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I know there's little depth to it, and I have yet to see it, but I wouldn't let it stop me from buying the car. Seems to me you would get used to it in a short time.

Varinn

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't think Canada gets the digital cockpit in the 18 GTI autobahn. Only in the R.

I think you're right, if you are meaning to respond to me I can clarify.

The 2018 Tiguan I sat in had what the salesman described as being the same digital gauge cluster

The 2018 Golf Wagon had analog gauges but DID have the same center console display as the Golf R.

The 2017 Golf R of course had the analog gauges with 8" center console screen and tactile physical buttons

I may not let it stop me from buying the car but I guess I just have some strong reservations about it. The gauges in the 2017 are so nice and I can't shake the feeling that the digital dashboard is innovating in the wrong direction. I feel like at most a larger screen between the analog gauges would be ideal, the digital tach/speedo just loses something not quite tangible.

Otherwise though... I want an effing Golf R, my test drive in the '17 sealed that deal pretty hard.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I think you're right, if you are meaning to respond to me I can clarify.

The 2018 Tiguan I sat in had what the salesman described as being the same digital gauge cluster

The 2018 Golf Wagon had analog gauges but DID have the same center console display as the Golf R.

The 2017 Golf R of course had the analog gauges with 8" center console screen and tactile physical buttons

I may not let it stop me from buying the car but I guess I just have some strong reservations about it. The gauges in the 2017 are so nice and I can't shake the feeling that the digital dashboard is innovating in the wrong direction. I feel like at most a larger screen between the analog gauges would be ideal, the digital tach/speedo just loses something not quite tangible.

Otherwise though... I want an effing Golf R, my test drive in the '17 sealed that deal pretty hard.

No sticking needles.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R

Yes all the VW digital clusters in 2018 are the same, at least what i saw looking around the showroom. They're slightly different styling/options but same hardware.

They're not as nice as the Audi's IMO but looked much better in person than i was expecting. No Google Maps/Earth if that's important to you.

Dan84

Ready to race!
I think it's one of those thing you end up getting used to..

Digital display will be standard accross in no time and will have to adapt

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I think the physical surrounding around the A3/S3/RS3 looks better then the boxy VW version. Other then that didn't initially notice any differences.

To be honest, I don't know for how many years it has been now that I have never looked at the analog dials. They are simply inaccurate and useless. You are often saying 'I am doing AROUND 50-60' I have always used the digital in my Audi S4. The only time I think I cared about the dials is when I first got the car and was trying to match the sound of the engine to the RPMs. Otherwise a quick glance down at 132 km/h in a 100 km/h is all I look at now.

The other perks is the navigation no longer being a side node to look at but rather dropping your eyes down, not taking your eyes off the road. Same goes with the other items showing up rather then in the center console.

The negative that I think those commenting farther north then me, say Edmonton, is how well those digital virtual dashes hold up under extreme weather. I know my old B5 S4 electronics HATED the cold. Once the car got up to temperature then the display with power up for the radio and climate control etc.

The other negative is I like a Rolex not an iWatch...I think you get what I mean. Maybe a 'watch guy' can come up with a better watch then the Rolex, but the analog dials give it a bit more class to me

CDavis7M

Passed Driver's Ed
The digital dash in the '18 is the reason I decided not to wait and just get the '17. There are pros and cons to both models, but I liked the '17 more.

AKF427

Ready to race!
The digital dash in the '18 is the reason I decided not to wait and just get the '17. There are pros and cons to both models, but I liked the '17 more.

Logical choice & rationale. My wife drives an Audi Q7 w/ the "virtual cockpit". I suspect virtual/digital will be standard upon on all models from all manufacturers, ultimately. Yet that is 5-10+ years away....the "trickle down" from current flagship models to pedestrian models.

I believe standardization is forthcoming, I hope the option for analog remains.

No question, a "wow" factor exists & it is very cool...especially the fact that you can adjust it to conform to the size of the speedo & tach etc you want. However, once the "wow" factor is no longer...a Driver tends to go back to the default way "it was". Personally, you're not missing out on anything & the "wow" factor fades.

KO7

Ready to race!
I see you're in Vancouver. Come join us in the Vancouver R Club on Facebook!

ssaylor

Passed Driver's Ed
I was set on the MK7 but being in Canada that wide range of paint options is making it more appealing to do a factory order. My big issues is that I don't like the interior updates as much as the original MK7 setup. I dropped in at a dealer who didn't have an '18 R in stock, but they did have the '17 R and an '18 Tiguan/Golf Wagon to compare (The tiguan had the same or a very similar cluster).

My immediate reaction to the digital dash was disappointment, I knew I would likely not be fond of it but I was even less impressed than I had imagined. The digital cockpit has some cool concepts but I found it gave off a feeling of lacking any depth. The colors and lighting on it just doesn't have the same feeling of quality that the true gauges do. The touch buttons on the center console screen are sleek looking but less tactile and more prone to fingerprints. TBH I don't see much benefit of the features that the cluster promoted either, most of the things aren't really much benefit (including the NAV map option)

Has anyone else with similar concerns ordered a 2018 Golf R and had their impression change after receiving and driving the car for a bit? In the time I played around I didn't think to dim the cluster lights to see if it helped with the gauge appearance but I don't have high hopes. Would I need to chock it up to being the one major gripe with an otherwise fantastic car?

I just saw my first 2018 7.5 R at the LA auto show and I agree 100%. Glad I have my 17!!