GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
I uninstalled my JB4 yesterday and i'll get another 60-100 with my slushtronic sometime this week to get a baseline. I'm using 93 octane though so it'll be a lil bit more powerful than stock but I can definitely feel a power drop-off with highway passes.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Try this out Mr Wrong

Thanks for this.. I've been running map 2 for about a week now and am pretty happy with it and now that some comfort level has set in I'm going to give your suggested settings a try. What about all the rest of the fields like fuel bias, duty bias, boost safety, Etc? Do you have an actual screenshot your could share?

Also when making these settings can I do it without the JB4 connected to my laptop?

Thanks..

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for this.. I've been running map 2 for about a week now and am pretty happy with it and now that some comfort level has set in I'm going to give your suggested settings a try. What about all the rest of the fields like fuel bias, duty bias, boost safety, Etc? Do you have an actual screenshot your could share?

Also when making these settings can I do it without the JB4 connected to my laptop?

Thanks..

Just set the boost safety about 2-3 psi above your max target. Don't touch anything else. Do some third gear logs and then see what needs adjusting.

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
Just posted another video of my 60-100 bone stock. I used a stopwatch to time it a few times and it looks like my car was about 9 seconds with JB4 installed and 12 seconds with it uninstalled. That's a pretty significant difference!

I'll try to get more baselines while my JB4 is still off the car like maybe 0-60 and 0-100. Car feels significantly slower.

I got a Passat 1.8TSI loaner from the dealership while my car is getting worked on and JHC this thing is a slug. Idk why it feels so much slower, it might only weigh 200lbs more than my GSW but damn!!

BoomGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
So I've read through about 40 pages of this thread and I'm ready to ask a few clarifying questions if you don't mind...

So a few of you are running is20 with no tune, just jb4. How do your numbers compare to an off the shelf tune?

I'm installing an is20 next week, along with the unitronic is20 tune. How do some of your numbers compare to unitronics is20 tune?

I saw ironshade put up some pretty nice numbers but couldn't finish on the dyno because of the speed limiter if I remember correctly?

I'm just curious if it's worth the extra $400 to stack the jb4 on top if the unitronic tune.

I know there's gonna be more there, because unitronics tune is fairly conservative, just wondering how much more could be safely gained based on what some of you have done.

Not sure if it helps but my car is a 4motion sportwagen dsg
Intake, downpipe, larger intercooler pipe kit, turbo muffler delete, turbo inlet pipe.. I know some of these probably don't do much if anything but it all adds up right?

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
So I've read through about 40 pages of this thread and I'm ready to ask a few clarifying questions if you don't mind...

So a few of you are running is20 with no tune, just jb4. How do your numbers compare to an off the shelf tune?

I'm installing an is20 next week, along with the unitronic is20 tune. How do some of your numbers compare to unitronics is20 tune?

I saw ironshade put up some pretty nice numbers but couldn't finish on the dyno because of the speed limiter if I remember correctly?

I'm just curious if it's worth the extra $400 to stack the jb4 on top if the unitronic tune.

I know there's gonna be more there, because unitronics tune is fairly conservative, just wondering how much more could be safely gained based on what some of you have done.

Not sure if it helps but my car is a 4motion sportwagen dsg
Intake, downpipe, larger intercooler pipe kit, turbo muffler delete, turbo inlet pipe.. I know some of these probably don't do much if anything but it all adds up right?

280 or more wheel hp with JB4 is20 and full mods. Most important being down pipe and intercooler. This has been shown a few times.

APR advertises over 280 wheel HP for the is20, 93octane and downpipe. APR claims have proven to be pretty accurate based on dyno runs done on other cars with stage 1 and 2 tunes.

Uni claims over 300 crank HP and a much lower torque number than APR claims or what has been seen with JB4. JB4 torque numbers are similar to APR. Uni should be 260-270 wheel depending on how much drive-train loss you believe.

Unitronic is more conservative, but should be very consistent and fuel quality/heat tolerant.

Skip54

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the JB4 with bluetooth wireless phone adapter and would like to start running logs to send to George to get a custom tune. I plan on running 93 octane. Do you guys have the basic steps for getting the best results for logging? For example, do I use Map 1 or Map 4? I'm assuming I only do 3 gear pulls (without downshifting into 2nd).

Last edited:

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
I have the JB4 with bluetooth wireless phone adapter and would like to start running logs to send to George to get a custom tune. I plan on running 93 octane. Do you guys have the basic steps for getting the best results for logging? For example, do I use Map 1 or Map 4? I'm assuming I only do 3 gear pulls (without downshifting into 2nd).

Run the logs in the map you want to log. 3rd gear pedal to the floor is best.

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
Who all has stacked tunes? Preferably APR stage 1/2. Looking for some insight. Got the jb4 coming tomorrow, and is20 being installed next week

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Who all has stacked tunes? Preferably APR stage 1/2. Looking for some insight. Got the jb4 coming tomorrow, and is20 being installed next week

I'm sure you've seen this advice before, but TALK TO GEORGE! He will walk you through the whole thing adjustment by adjustment and make sure everything does exactly as it should. If you don't yet have APR stage 1/2 but already have the JB4 and IS20 the only real point of the tune is to remove the speed limiter and add left foot braking (and a few other smaller things). If you don't think that is worth $600+, then I would skip the tune.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
This is my log for map 6 with this setting below:
1500 11
2000 12
2500 13
3000 13
3500 14
4000 15
4500 16
5000 15
5500 13
6000 13
6500 12
7000 12
FOL at 70
http://www.datazap.me/u/bigbearbigbutt/map-6?log=0&data=1-4

Comparing with map 2, I feel this setting less torque since the map 2 push me to the seat at 4000rpm. On map 6, just little feeling like that and it comes later, around 4500rpm. Any though?

You can turn up your boost higher from 2,500-4,000. You will want to peak at 4,000 and then taper down from there. Maybe 16.5 at 4,000. If your timing takes a hit, lower it to 16 and then 15.5 at 4,500. Change the FOL to 60. You don't need it at 70 for this boost