GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

best way to remove gum from hood

wallstreet1234561

Passed Driver's Ed
What is the best way to get gum of the hood of my MK7? Never had this before and I don't want to ruin the paint or finish.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Google says to freeze the gum first with ice cubes. (ice wrapped in microfiber towel)

Then try to peel it off once it's solid.

Last edited:

Pingers

Ready to race!
Google says to freeze the gum first with ice cubes. (ice wrapped in microfiber towel)

Then try to peel it off once it's solid.

I would guess if you combine the freezing method with the duct tape and then some goo-gone you should hopefully be in good shape.

Or take a can of liquid air, hold it up-side-down and spray the gum. :D

JAGTD

Aerosol deodorant (seriously).

Chill the deodorant in your freezer for 15 minutes or in the fridge for an hour and spray it directly onto the gum at close range (1 cm or so away). The Aerosol will have the same effect as the ice cubes but faster.

I recommend an anti-perspirant.

JS82

Passed Driver's Ed
What is the best way to get gum of the hood of my MK7? Never had this before and I don't want to ruin the paint or finish.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I'd buy a bottle of Goo Gone. It does a good job at removing sticky stuff while not harming the paint.
Just make sure to wax the area afterwards.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Still soft or has it hardened (the gum :D)? Soft you can take off with Goo-Gone, 3M Adhesive Remover, or WD-40 without issue. Just make sure to re-wax or seal afterwards because these will take that off as well. Dried you can try the freezing method and plastic credit card.