GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bass knob next to shifter

geokotzamanis

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello everyone,

I recently installed a 5 channel amp in my 2016 GTI SE. I was looking for a convenient place to install the bass knob as I usually keep levels down but have my moments of being a bass head [emoji12]

Someone else on this forum installed a bass knob in the same location but didn't have any details on the install. I decided to install it in the same place.

The hardest part for me was removing the center cubby with the usb/aux inputs.

I don't have detailed pictures but I can explain the process ...

1. Remove climate control trim panel. Pull it from the bottom and then shimmy it down, the top is behind the radio trim so just slide it down.

2. Pull the rubber mat out from the cubby, there is a small tab on the left of the mat to pull it out.

3. You will see four small holes on the bottom of the cubby. Use some form of hook or tool to insert in the hole and pull straight up. I used a radio removal tool and that worked great.

4. Now this was the hardest part for me. Removing the usb/aux plate. Two metal tabs hold it in place. One on top, one on the bottom. You need to push them down and push the plate towards you at the same time. There is a square cutout on top of the cubby to reach the top tab. That was easy, the bottom tab was harder for me. I reached under the cubby and pushed the tab with one hand, while the other hand used a trim tool to push the usb/aux plate towards me. Hated this step.

5. Once the plate is out, unplug the usb and aux. Just two plugs. Now pull the cubby out all the way.

6. Now that the cubby is out, you will see two torx screws, remove them.

7. Remove the trim piece that holds the leather boot around the shifter. We do this by pulling straight up on the top left and right of the trim piece. Very easy.

8. Now the trim piece holding the buttons is ready to come off. Lift this a bit and unplug the start button, and esc button. Just two plugs for my car. You will have to move the shifter boot trim piece so it gives some room for the trim piece with buttons to come out.

9. If you look underneath the trim piece with buttons, you will see small plastic tabs holding everything in. Just press them and the three buttons slide out together.

Now here is where I stop because everyone will have a different experience cutting the plastic as bass knobs are all different sizes . Mine required lots of cutting with a dremel. The dremel saved my life as I was able to cut and sand away little bits of plastic at a time.

I apologize as I did not take many pictures. I was too excited. I am very happy with the results.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Chkine05tdi

Looks real clean. I like installing in clean places where I can replace the cover when done and leave no hole. Nice install.