GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Golf R Auto Dimming Rear-view Mirror

builtospill

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
This looks identical to setup on my 2017 Jetta SEL with rain sensor and manual flip mirror- can anyone concur?. Gotta take the long/short cover off of mine to see if the mirror mount is identical before I go ordering parts. Definitely miss having an auto dimming mirror in the Jetta, I guess the rain sensor was a priority for VW and being blinded was not. Is the headlight auto sensor in there too?

Last edited:

builtospill

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
This is what my 2017 Jetta looks like with rain/light sensor. Curious if this would work

dmichael1

I tapped into the Blue/Red wire in the Blue Clip in the overhead dome light, had to drill a hole in the metal to run the ground wire. Everything works well, but the green light in the mirror stays on even after the dome light powers down. The green light only shuts off when the car goes into electrical sleep mode which take a few minutes. Wondering if I tapped into the wrong wire, but the Blue Red wire is in the same position in the blue clip as shown here.

builtospill

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Yeah I ended up taping into the blue/red wire and have in past on my old MK6 Golf for a mirror install. The mirror times out and powers off after I lock the car or have car shut down for like 5 minutes or so, just how interior lights power down automatically when the car is off. I ended getting dimming mirror off of a VW CC for about $30 on eBay which is the same dimming mirror and trim Golf MK7 uses. I just had to trim the top trim piece that touches headliner and it all snapped into place perfectly and looks clean and OEM in my Jetta. However it was identical to install as my Golf Mk6 but with the pain in butt rain sensor/light sensor windshield mount and trim pieces.

Last edited:

dmichael1

It take about 10 minutes to time out and I did test that when lock the car the mirror indicator shuts off with the dome lights together. Something tells me the factory setup would shut off the the power to the mirror whenever the interior lights turn off

BucsiB

Passed Driver's Ed
I installed my new mirror.
It takes some time because I've got a wrong connector on the harness (two times).

Getting the +12V supply from the interior light panel looks like for me not the best way but the easiest. The lighting panel always have the supply voltage. You can turn on interior light even if the ignition key is not with you.

The connection diagram says the +12V should came from Terminal 15.
Terminal 15 can be at several points in the vehicle since it means the T15 point will become +12V live if ignition is ON.

It is working anyway but if I'll have more time I will run the wires down the A-pillar and connect to the BCM to have it non-dimm at reverse gear, and get the +12V supply from the light switch, as the T15 point is easily acessable at this point.

vapor

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm thinking of following a similar procedure to wire a radar detector. Has the wiring changed for 2018/ mk7.5?