GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 1+ combo - lessons learned

GolfGTI2014

Passed Driver's Ed
Thought I would share my experience with you all... Hopefully, my errors will save someone from much frustration and stress. Over the weekend, I did my first flash at home, using the uniconnect cable and unitronic stage 1+ combo software. I did this flash on my 2015 Golf R, with about 10k miles. On my first attempt, after getting to 100% completion, I was going through the final start and stop steps and on the last step, hit the start button, headlights went on and I dropped the voltage enough to cause a failed flash. My car was now like a bricked iPhone. I saw many lights and heard many tones that I did not even know I had. I restarted the process and now my cable could not even read the ECU. Yes, I had ignored the advice to connect at battery charger when starting the flash. I should have known better, given that my 2014 GTI is on its third battery. I know these cars cook batteries and I should have used that knowledge to take better precautions. The DAP video online clearly gives this advice and I should have taken it. I tried charging the battery and restarted the process and at the end of the flash, it failed again. In fact, when the lights cycled this time, my battery charger tripped I had another brick. So, off to autozone, new battery, and tried a third time. The software keep trying to reapply the failed flash and I could not get it to proceed so, I had to abort and start start with a fresh flash (after reading warnings about how this could corrupt the ECU). My third attempt worked! With a new battery and the charger hooked up... I was up and running. Hope this helps someone. Use a battery charger when flashing!

GolfGTI2014

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks, no issues with the tune, and not enough experience with it yet to evaluate it. I am just happy that I am not at home today trying to get my car to start!

Schnell_R

Ready to race!
What color is your R? I live in Monroe, always have my eye peeled for other Rs in the area. I want to get a ride in a tuned R before I make the leap..

GolfGTI2014

Passed Driver's Ed
See attached...

Attachments

• 20160618-19 MSM RRR-5.jpg
    20160618-19 MSM RRR-5.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 922

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
It's good practice, and cheap insurance, to hook up a battery charger during any flashing or coding operation, not just the ECU/TCU. People have reported running down the battery during longer and more complex VCDS coding sessions when they lose track of time.

And that means a real charger capable of delivering at least 10A of current, not a trickle charger/maintainer.

Neil

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!

AJK360

Passed Driver's Ed