GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3 inch vs 2.5 inch exhaust on the 1.8t

anjoVW

Ready to race!
What are the benefits of going either or in these sizes on our exhausts? The specific exhausts I'm looking at are the 42DD 3 inch catback and the AWE Track Edition 2.5 inch catback.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
What are the benefits of going either or in these sizes on our exhausts? The specific exhausts I'm looking at are the 42DD 3 inch catback and the AWE Track Edition 2.5 inch catback.

Now that the APR is20 and is38 tunes are out, this question has more of an answer. The power they make at the wheels is almost the same as a tuned GTI minus the displacement (1.8 vs 2.0). That's with the 2.25 TSI exhaust.

The stock down pipe is the biggest block to making big power. Pushing everything to the limits, a full 3" exhaust will likely make more power. But maybe not enough to make it worth it.

Get the one that makes your wallet the happiest.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I would just get the GTI cat back. The stock GTI exhaust is 2.5"

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yeah this was a good way to go. You'll need to buy the GTI rear valence for it to fit though. I got a reproduction for $80

The power gain between the slightly larger piping is probably only a few percent at most, doubt it will be that noticeable

anjoVW

Ready to race!
Yeah this was a good way to go. You'll need to buy the GTI rear valence for it to fit though. I got a reproduction for $80

The power gain between the slightly larger piping is probably only a few percent at most, doubt it will be that noticeable

Would it be worth to delete the GTI exhaust while I'm at it? I guess I should have mentioned, but sound was the priority and then performance loss/gain was my next priority, since I wasn't sure if the 3 inch paired with 2.25 would hamper anything.

Junkboy

Still cheaper than buying a 500+ catback lol. I'm still looking for a stock GTI catback for mine but I want to go to is20 first.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Look at it this way. Max gain from a 3" cat back is 15-20whp for 500-$1000.

A tune will pick up 60-80whp for 400-$800

Hp per dollar there's much better options

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Would it be worth to delete the GTI exhaust while I'm at it? I guess I should have mentioned, but sound was the priority and then performance loss/gain was my next priority, since I wasn't sure if the 3 inch paired with 2.25 would hamper anything.

Do you mean delete the muffler? Personally I wouldn't on a street car but that's me. Besides my personal peace of mind and not getting cop attention, you'll probably just end up annoying everyone around you. You could probably have a muffler shop put in a different muffler that's a little louder to get the sound you desire though.

My ZX6R is pretty loud though, even with a muffler :p and no cat

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
A DP is $200-800 and will pick up 30-40hp depending on tune. Same for an IC upgrade

$255 for my DP. Didn't know they made that much power.