GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 Instalation Guide (1.8t)

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for posting this. Looks like a ton of work. brb shooting myself. I'm good to run this turbo and the downpipe on the stage 1 APR tune while I get the JB4 setup properly, right?

edit: also it looks like you should be able to reuse the gaskets and seals considering they're still pretty new?

I would buy new gaskets and rings so that way you can make sure to prevent leaks from the lines. Cheap insurances as mentioned above.

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
Has anyone done this swap without draining the coolant? Seems like the turbo is so high up in the engine bay that not a whole lot of coolant would escape those two lines, especially if removing the lines at the turbo and not the block.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Has anyone done this swap without draining the coolant? Seems like the turbo is so high up in the engine bay that not a whole lot of coolant would escape those two lines, especially if removing the lines at the turbo and not the block.

I didn't drain the coolant. I just put a big pan under the lines that I removed.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

I think it will be much less work in the long run to drain the coolant. I was having problems with spillage even though I did mostly drain it. Either way you will have to bleed the coolant afterwards, so the only work you're saving is the initial drain at the beginning of the project. If you look at the coolant reservoir, it is above the turbo so everything in there plus any other coolant in the engine including the exhaust manifold coolant and some radiator coolant will be what spills out when the lines are disconnected.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
May the force be with you. If you don't have working gloves its well worth getting a pair.

I do, thanks! So it took me so many hours to swap my catback exhaust and downpipe that I gave up on the turbo... lol

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I do, thanks! So it took me so many hours to swap my catback exhaust and downpipe that I gave up on the turbo... lol

Oh no! Well this certainly isn't a 4:00pm on a Monday job for the average person so that's understandable.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I didn't drain the coolant. I just put a big pan under the lines that I removed.

I think it will be much less work in the long run to drain the coolant. I was having problems with spillage even though I did mostly drain it. Either way you will have to bleed the coolant afterwards, so the only work you're saving is the initial drain at the beginning of the project. If you look at the coolant reservoir, it is above the turbo so everything in there plus any other coolant in the engine including the exhaust manifold coolant and some radiator coolant will be what spills out when the lines are disconnected.

Yeah, I'm sure it would get a bit messier if you don't drain it, but good to know you can manage it if you don't. I hate how their isn't a proper drain plug on the radiator. That bottom hose was on really tight! After I drained, I was able to use large zip-lock baggies and catch most of the coolant when I popped the lines off. Have plenty available!

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Oh no! Well this certainly isn't a 4:00pm on a Monday job for the average person so that's understandable.

Yeah.. it took forever to get the right reducer for the GTI catback. It doesn't make sense. It's supposed to be 2.5" I read but it's not a true 2.5" and the supplied reducer was for 2.25" I believe, a 3 to 2.5" I bought locally didn't fit either, nuts ... of course now that I have everything figured out the whole swap would be easy :p

No CEL either with the $15 spacer I got. Another $15 for a OBD extension O2 cable.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Yeah.. it took forever to get the right reducer for the GTI catback. It doesn't make sense. It's supposed to be 2.5" I read but it's not a true 2.5" and the supplied reducer was for 2.25" I believe, a 3 to 2.5" I bought locally didn't fit either, nuts ... of course now that I have everything figured out the whole swap would be easy :p

No CEL either with the $15 spacer I got. Another $15 for a OBD extension O2 cable.

I was just saying to someone else that if I knew what I know now, my aftermarket downpipe would have been a piece of cake. The stock sizes are metric. So our exhaust is closer to a 2-1/4" ID and the gti is 2-1/2" id. It then connects with a butt connection and a sleeve clamp. Hopefully this will help someone else out in the future.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion

Which DP did you go with? Hope you get back to the IS20 soon!