GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TIE Fighter - 2016 GTI SE 6MT

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Can anyone tell me how to do #2 above (amber LEDs and center dots) using OBDEleven? I wasn't able to find Leuchte8FL and Leuchte9FL under the adaptations menu for Central Electronics; they simply weren't listed at all anywhere that I could see. I had no trouble finding anything else I needed for the list I completed above.

This is what worked on my 2016 car for the amber side markers:

Left Headlight Side Marker:

Go to 09 Central Electronics
Adaptation
Leuchte8FL LB2

Then change Dimmwert AB 8 from 127 --> 0

Right Headlight Side Marker:

Go to 09 Central Electronics
Adaptation
Leuchte9FL RB2
Then change Dimmwert AB 9 from 127 --> 0

Make sure you enter the security code 31347.

If those Leuchte channels aren't showing up for you I'm not sure. I do not know the coding for removing the dot in the headlights.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Installed the new tails today! They look even better than I imagined, and the cherry red is perfect with my CSG paint. Can't wait to get the new harness and see what they can really do.

So nice. I did this to my CSG as well and they look amazing. Definitely do the harnesses. Amber blinker is so cool.

Tatanko

Ready to race!
If those Leuchte channels aren't showing up for you I'm not sure. I do not know the coding for removing the dot in the headlights.
For some reason, I was under the impression that the little amber LEDs and the center dots were on the same circuit. If that isn't the case, I'll need to keep digging deeper. Thanks for the help!

So nice. I did this to my CSG as well and they look amazing. Definitely do the harnesses. Amber blinker is so cool.
Planning on doing the harness over the holidays when I have more time to fiddle with the car. Was it difficult to get the hatch panels on/off to install the harness? That's the part I'm afraid of :(

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Was it difficult to get the hatch panels on/off to install the harness? That's the part I'm afraid of :(

It's a little tricky, but worth it. Even if you get the harnesses from another vendor, watch the DAP install video to get a sense of what you will need to do. They do a great job showing how to remove the panels and in what order. Regarding the harnesses, unless you have a VW pin removal tool handy, triple check you are making the correct connections because the pins are almost impossible to disconnect again without a special tool. My other advice would be to set aside plenty of time and make sure you have adequate lighting and the tools you'll need on hand (needle-nose pliers, electrical tape, fish tape/wire snake, small flathead to remove the harness latches, zip-ties). Non-marring trim removal tools might be helpful for taking the trim pieces off. I just used my hands and went slow and careful and did not break anything. As long as you come prepared it is not that bad of an install.

Tatanko

Ready to race!
It's a little tricky, but worth it. Even if you get the harnesses from another vendor, watch the DAP install video to get a sense of what you will need to do. They do a great job showing how to remove the panels and in what order. Regarding the harnesses, unless you have a VW pin removal tool handy, triple check you are making the correct connections because the pins are almost impossible to disconnect again without a special tool. My other advice would be to set aside plenty of time and make sure you have adequate lighting and the tools you'll need on hand (needle-nose pliers, electrical tape, fish tape/wire snake, small flathead to remove the harness latches, zip-ties). Non-marring trim removal tools might be helpful for taking the trim pieces off. I just used my hands and went slow and careful and did not break anything. As long as you come prepared it is not that bad of an install.
Everything you said before the last sentence says the opposite to me, but I know what you mean :p

I have the set of trim removal tools from ECS already and was planning to use their harness specifically to make connecting the rear fog light easier. I have just about everything else you've listed too, with the exception of a wire snake which I can easily acquire. Which harness did you go with personally (ECS or DAP)?

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
I have the BEC harness because that's where I sourced the lights. They are all fairly similar, though.

I'm sure the ECS one will be good, and I think they have a good set of install instructions as well.

Definitely get the wire snake, you will need it.

I am biased because I broke a pin off after I put it in the wrong terminal :eek:, so I had to go through some extra hassle. But really, if you have a reasonable amount of patience and watch the DAP video and read the ECS instructions, it should actually be pretty easy and straightforward.

Tatanko

Ready to race!
Got the car back from the dealership this afternoon with the recall performed and the minor sunroof leak repaired. The car now has a totally clean bill of health and I just cracked 10,000 miles on my way home tonight. All smiles :D

The JB1 will go back on the car this Wednesday assuming I have time. Can't wait to have "true" power unlocked again.

Decided the carbon fiber background for the center gauge isn't for me, so I reverted that back to the factory default today. Loving all of the other tweaks so far, and I have just a handful left to do sometime this week before I've done everything I wanted to accomplish. In fact, I've nearly completed my "OEM+" mod list entirely. The car is almost perfect [for a lease vehicle]!

But really, if you have a reasonable amount of patience and watch the DAP video and read the ECS instructions, it should actually be pretty easy and straightforward.
Thanks for all the guidance!

Tatanko

Ready to race!
Picture of the car on the way home from work a few days ago:

Tatanko

Ready to race!
Finished up my initial list of VCDS tweaks tonight. I'm sure I'll find other things I want to do with it eventually, but I did my homework for months so I'm incredibly happy with the tweaks I've done so far. The list below is what I currently have implemented, with the new things from tonight in bold.

1. NAR -> ECE (ROW) lighting regulations
2. Full DRL brightness with fogs only, turn signals on, etc.
3. Coming Home lights switched from low beams to fog lights
4. Brake lights are now all four sections
5. Brighter reverse lights
6. Disabled amber LEDs and inner "dot" LEDs on headlights
7. Rear DRLs
8. Windows up/down with key fob
9. Fuel refill quantity
10. Disable DRLs (menu option)
11. "Hot Country" A/C + blower settings
12. Soundaktor @ 0%
13. XDS set to "Strong"
14. ESC options (ESC On, ESC Sport, ESC Off)

#10 was done purely because I like having every menu option possible, even if it's something I may never use. Better to have it and not need it, right?

EDIT: Going to have to undo #2. I modified the wrong adaptation values, and the DRL rings are now at full brightness with the low beams as well which is undesirable to me (I only want full brightness with everything else: parking lights + fogs, CH, LH).

Last edited:

Tatanko

Ready to race!
Changed the brightness of my tail lights (running lights) from "28" -> "20" over the weekend for safety. I didn't feel like the default brightness was different enough from the brake lights running the factory NAR harness with the LED tail lights.

I also reinstalled the JB1 while I was at it. Very happy to be back to "normal" power ;)

Cold weather and snow are setting in, so it's time to button down the car and get through the winter.

EDIT: I've decided to go with the LED cornering lights in the near future as well, sometime over the holidays. I think the tail light harness is more of a priority right now though!

Last edited:

Tatanko

Ready to race!
Installed LED replacements in the front turn signals today, again coming from deAutoKey. I haven't seen them at night yet, but what I've seen so far in the day (and in my dark garage) looks good!

Tatanko

Ready to race!
Ordered LED replacements today for the last remaining halogen bulbs on the car: the cornering lights. Very excited to get them on the car and start enjoying them, I think they'll be very useful -- and the car will be fully LED now :) (except the xenon headlights...)

Tatanko

Ready to race!
I now have ~18,6xx miles on the car and it's been a little less than a year-and-a-half that I've had it. Last month I took it on a trip through the Finger Lakes in NY and had an absolute blast driving back roads everywhere. Even better, I averaged 39 MPG! It was unbelievable.

Hoping to get a rear sway bar for the car very soon. It also needs new tires before winter arrives, so I'll be taking care of that as well. Other than that, I'm just continuing to enjoy it as OEM+ while I ride out my lease and continue to ponder whether I'll keep it when the time comes. I'm leaning towards keeping it :)

On a side note, my ladyperson has recently gotten a new car as well, joining the VW family: a 2017 Jetta S 1.4T. It's an automatic, but still very much a more-than-adequate drivetrain. I've been really impressed with it.

Tatanko

Ready to race!
Getting new tires put on it today at just over 21,000 miles. The factory Dunlop's are completely toast (particular the 2 currently on the rear) and actually allowed a bit of sliding in heavy rain the other day.

They are being replaced by Kumho Ecsta 4X II's, which are a tire I've had on two previous cars and really like. I don't have the space to keep a spare set of wheels & tires unfortunately, so I have to choose all-seasons that are as far into the dry performance end of the spectrum as possible while not completely compromising daily livability.

All 4 neatly fit inside the car when I dropped it off this morning, too!

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Very cool build! Do you by any chance have the part number for those tailights? I've been meaning to do it on mine as well.