GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tips for the Dyno

whitewagen

Passed Driver's Ed
I just found out that a shop nearby added a dyno recently. I'm thinking about heading out there to get some numbers. However, I have a few questions that maybe someone with some experience can answer. If you've put your 1.8 mk7 on the dyno can you share your experience?

Traction Control:
Is there a dyno mode for Golfs/Sportwagens? Do you need to code traction control completely off or pull the ABS fuse? I have the starting vibration reduction deactivated and coded for ESC Off. Do I need to do anything else?

RPM signal:
Do they need to get an RPM signal and where do they do that on our cars? Do any dynos need access to the obdII port? I know plenty of cars with a JB4 have been dynoed so I'm assuming that's not an issue.

Anything else I need to know?

Last edited:

whitewagen

Passed Driver's Ed
Ideally the shop should, however, I've heard of several people online that had trouble with a not so knowledgeable shop. Since this shop just got a dyno I would like to go in with some knowledge to make sure it goes smooth.

I know at least a couple guys here have had their car on a dyno so I'm hoping they'll chime in.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
You can get a good RPM signal by putting the pick up around the wires on cylinder 1 (leftmost from front of car). Just un-snap the plastic cover (pull up) that sits over the coil-pack and then put the pick up around all the wires that you see there. You may have to adjust a tad, but once you a signal it should be good to go.

If you have VCDS, there is a dyno mode that you can use. In VCDS go to 03 - ABS Brakes, Adaptation, and then Roller Test Bench, functional - change it from Not Activated to Activated. I'm sure there is another way if you don't have VCDS, I recall seeing some videos about this.

The tuning shop should know how to do everything for you

Not always the case, trust me!

whitewagen

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the tip in the RPM signal.

Do you think dyno mode is necessary, or is ESC off enough to keep traction control from interfering? I saw a video of a GTI which involved turning on the hazards and pushing the gas pedal 5 times to put it in dyno mode. I have OBDeleven but would rather not mess with it at the shop because my tablet sucks.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
The tuning shop should know how to do everything for you

The shop I went to could not get a reliable RPM signal no matter what we tried. He had other cars with the same problem. So he called dynojet and they recommended he get RPM from the dyno drum. He set it up, called me back and we were successful.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the tip in the RPM signal.

Do you think dyno mode is necessary, or is ESC off enough to keep traction control from interfering? I saw a video of a GTI which involved turning on the hazards and pushing the gas pedal 5 times to put it in dyno mode. I have OBDeleven but would rather not mess with it at the shop because my tablet sucks.

I think the other method works too, but I didn't have to use it. George can give you some tips if you email him...I think he told me about the method you mentioned, or a similar method. It's been awhile now, but we may have tried that method too, I can't recall.

The shop I went to could not get a reliable RPM signal no matter what we tried. He had other cars with the same problem. So he called dynojet and they recommended he get RPM from the dyno drum. He set it up, called me back and we were successful.

That is odd, I have heard this too. We struggled a tad at first to get the pickup in place properly, but after that our Dynojet signal was rock solid for about 8 runs or so once we got the pickup in place. Perhaps you have to use the cylinder closest to the passenger side for it to work properly, not sure.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
I think the other method works too, but I didn't have to use it. George can give you some tips if you email him...I think he told me about the method you mentioned, or a similar method. It's been awhile now, but we may have tried that method too, I can't recall.

That is odd, I have heard this too. We struggled a tad at first to get the pickup in place properly, but after that our Dynojet signal was rock solid for about 8 runs or so once we got the pickup in place. Perhaps you have to use the cylinder closest to the passenger side for it to work properly, not sure.

We tried everything. Dynojet rep said it happens sometimes and drum RPM or a trigger installed on the cat itself (like on flywheel) is usually foolproof.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
The best dyno tip would be to set your expectations low. This way you will be happy with the outcome

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

whitewagen

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah I don't have much for expectations. Just thinking about a couple Map 6 runs and a Map 4 run for a baseline.

That way I'll have something to compare to if I ever get around to using the is20 that's sitting in the garage.