GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD Oil temperature

mikef4uk

Ready to race!
I think I just slipped on the wheel and changed the screen from mpg to 'oil temp' today whilst getting rid of one of those BMW X5's with the normal ''bully boy i'm' bigger than you out of my way'' attiudes today.

Anyway, quite warm today at 25c and the twisty road was uphill, I saw the oil temperature reach 110c whilst pushing the car reasonably hard, it soon settled back to 90c when I eased off a little.

What range of temps are other people here seeing when using the car quite hard?

Jamzo64

Briskodian
Car(s)
Skoda Octavia vRS
Interesting thread, oil temps sparked my interest when I was watching a video road test of the Bugatti Chiron, they claimed that the oil cooling was so efficient the Chiron's W16 engine could maintain oil temps similar to that of the water temp!

Subsequently I've been keeping an eye on it and recently my GTD registered 127 C on a track day. The engine was pushed hard for over an hour on a hot day so it was a little alarming however, after a bit of digging it seems that high quality fully synthetic oils such as the ones that are used in VW main dealer services are good for 140 C.

Remember when oil temp measured in the oil sump reaches 140° C it's actually
above 350°C in the piston area. Oil detoriates increasingly when above 200°C,
even PAO based fully synthetic (which factory 0W-30 and 5W-30 oils are not).
I'd say you're fine up to ~110°C. Above ~120°C the ECU will reduce power as
a precaution measure.
However, current MQB engines have an advanced thermo management system,
which attempts to maintain oil temps slightly above 100°C in normal driving as
that's ensuring lower oil viscosity thus less friction for improved efficiency. At
higher loads contrily the thermo management attempts lower oil temps as good
as possible. For that reason you may experience higher oil temps when cruising
as when you see when pushing it. Little confusing but it actually makes sense.

;)