GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 Honda Civic Type R Priced From $33,900 In The U.S.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Still not a fan and at the price is save a few bucks more and jump to a golf R...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
If it stays true to Honda form, the shifter/clutch will be quite a bit better than the VW setup. The Integra GS-R I had years ago had, hands down, the best manual tranny I've ever driven.

Johnpaul

Ready to race!
The Golfs are, at heart, cars with a great deal of utility, and the sportiness is added on the GTIs and Rs without much frippery, like wings and side moldings and whatnot, so they both work well in the winter and don't look dumb doing it! Some cars simply don't adapt well to snow tires, winter wheels, or lots of powder and slush. The more gimcrackery on the car, the less suitable it is for the winter, IMO, and this is the same for the lower it is. My R is at about the lowest point I'd want for either the roads here (rough and cracked, and I live on a dirt road) or the winter.

If I was lucky enough to have the garage space (and, um, money) to have a second, summer-only car, it would definitely be RWD.

I could only imagine having to find 245/30/20 winter tires or how terrible it would be on rough pavement. My GTI is lowered on ED springs and it's too low for the roads over Jay Peak most of the year. All the different vents and areo parts on the Type R would get filled with slush and freeze. I may end up with a Si again one day but I am going to have to regrettably pass on the Type R even though I always dreamed of owning one.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I could only imagine having to find 245/30/20 winter tires or how terrible it would be on rough pavement. My GTI is lowered on ED springs and it's too low for the roads over Jay Peak most of the year. All the different vents and areo parts on the Type R would get filled with slush and freeze. I may end up with a Si again one day but I am going to have to regrettably pass on the Type R even though I always dreamed of owning one.

Exactamundo. One reason I like the German stuff is that, by and large, they avoid most of the boy racer flamboyance of the Japanese and the "drive from a bunker" menacing but rather impractical American vibe (I'm looking at you, Camaro).

mkygod

Ready to race!
I've noticed that a lot of Honda Civic Type-R video reviews i've watched brags about how there is practically zero torque steer and that the car can accelerate hard w/o even touching the wheel. They make it sound like some kind of new trick feature. Couldn't the GTI/R already do this?

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I've noticed that a lot of Honda Civic Type-R video reviews i've watched brags about how there is practically zero torque steer and that the car can accelerate hard w/o even touching the wheel. They make it sound like some kind of new trick feature. Couldn't the GTI/R already do this?

The Type R has a special setup for the front wheels. Per Car and Driver:

"Out goes the conventional front-axle strut suspension of standard Civics. In its place Honda bolts a more complex (and no doubt more expensive) arrangement similar to Ford’s RevoKnuckle front suspension that was underneath the previous-generation front-wheel-drive Focus RS, which never made it to the States. The same basic idea is at work in Buick’s HiPer Strut arrangement. Yes, Buick. All of these variations on the strut do essentially the same thing: mechanically separate the steering and suspension functions while reducing spindle length and scrub radius (both dimensions are key factors of torque steer). "

The R doesn't need to, as much, as it has AWD. I'm sure added cost and maybe weight factor in to why you don't have it in the GTI, but also the GTI doesn't make 300 hp stock, either.