GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel/tire size ok for track

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Going to so my 1st track day this summer and im wanting to get some new wheels that might be used on the track. Looking at either 18x8.5 +45 or 18x9 +45 and was thinking 235 or 245 mpss. Im currently stock height but looking to get bilstein ddc coilovers. Would i be safe to run either of those without fear of rubbing or bacon fenders?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
You'll be perfectly fine with the 235 mpss on 8.5".

Once you get up to 245 (or certain 255) is when you'll need to look into doing the fender screw mod -- very simple -- and you won't rub at all.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
You'll be perfectly fine with the 235 mpss on 8.5".

Once you get up to 245 (or certain 255) is when you'll need to look into doing the fender screw mod -- very simple -- and you won't rub at all.
Any idea with a 9" with a 245/40?

On track you don't want to deal with unnecessary issues like rubbing,
there's plenty you have to deal with anyway.

235 on 8.5" period

I'd ask if PSS is ideal for tracking. It's a summer street tire, no R comp.

;)

Zacr811

Ready to race!
On track you don't want to deal with unnecessary issues like rubbing,
there's plenty you have to deal with anyway.

235 on 8.5" period

I'd ask if PSS is ideal for tracking. It's a summer street tire, no R comp.

;)

Exactly, if you are looking for a dedicated track tire set up PSS and a 18 inch wheel is far from it. I would go down to a 17 x8 or 9 and get a 235/45/17 or 245/40/17 tire like a re71r,rs4, r888, etc.

I have run 18 inch pss at the track and re71r in both those sizes I listed above and the difference between those and the pss is night and day.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Exactly, if you are looking for a dedicated track tire set up PSS and a 18 inch wheel is far from it. I would go down to a 17 x8 or 9 and get a 235/45/17 or 245/40/17 tire like a re71r,rs4, r888, etc.

I have run 18 inch pss at the track and re71r in both those sizes I listed above and the difference between those and the pss is night and day.
No dedicated set, summer wheels with occational tracking. Also i have a R so i im not going any smaller than 18, i would prefer 19 but the wheel i want doesnt have a good offset in 19.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Also most likely doing a 18x9 +45 with 245/40/18. Otherwise 19x9 +45

Zacr811

Ready to race!
No dedicated set, summer wheels with occational tracking. Also i have a R so i im not going any smaller than 18, i would prefer 19 but the wheel i want doesnt have a good offset in 19.

Then pss will be fine but depending on how many miles you do I would look at hankook rs4.

I'd still go 17s but that's just me.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
From my experience summer tires like PSS will be fine for your use. If it was a dedicated track set, sure go ahead and get 200tw tires or whatever (RS4, RE71, StarSpecs, R1R, etc.). If the car will see 90% street 10% tracktime or whatever... the less-grippy ~300tw summer tires will be a more forgiving while learning the limits. On that note, it's funny seeing guys in HPDE1 with Hoosiers.

Now once you get comfortable at speed, start doing more sessions per season, and really generating loads of heat in the tires... yeah you might be wishing you had a more aggressive compound and overall grip. But to learn on the MPSS will be just fine.

Also be sure to monitor your PSI while it's hot as soon as you come off track and lower as appropriate.