GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

reverse - first - reverse

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
on my 2014 mk7 GTD I've noticed a few times when i have reversed out of my drive etc. that when i come out of reverse and put it into first gear i actually select reverse again even when i deliberately move the gear stick right over to the right then back again to make sure

anyone else had this or have a fix ?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Way too much slop in mechanism..plastic & rubber...remove & fit all metal...problem solved...se my how to guides on this...I know you have the MQ300 gearbox, so the main arm is different, but same principals..

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
There is a good amount of slop in the stock shifter, most people will benefit from changing out the shift endlink bushings to solid bushings. Tons of campanies that make them so you have your pick ECS, Torque Solutions, 42DD, etc... Additionally you may also benefit from a shifter alignment. There are a couple videos online on the procedure to lock the transmission/shifter into the home position and then adjust the cables accordingly. :)

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
As I recall if you do a search on YouTube for "Dieselgeek shifter alignment" you should get some videos and be able to see what is involved with the alignment procedure. I can attest it's pretty simple as I did it when I threw in my short shifter and shifter bracket.

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
i tried AKS today and it looks like i won't be able to fix this right now as they reccomended a few other bits and pieces that i would also need as well as the bushings
short shifter,new bracket for the gearbox, cables of some sort as well as the bushings i intended to buy but the cost of £257 for it all and then the cost of getting it fitted is probably going to be nearly £500 i can't justify right now
i'll get the alignment checked and take it from there just a pity theres no way to rectify it cheaper

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
You shouldn't "need" all of that to fix your issue. Will it all make the shifting much smoother... yes. Honestly, you could go and just get the endlink bushings for $30-$40 USD and do an alignment and be fine. No need to go with short shifters, shifter brackets, and new cables if all you're looking for is more positive engagement and gear selection.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VII--2.0T_Gen3/Drivetrain/Shifter/Bushings/Performance/Shifter_Cable/

Here's a link to illustrate some of the options, I'm not sure what's available through your local retailers but the install of these is not hard. It's easy enough to find some YouTube videos outlining the process.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Cheers guys any links that I can check out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did tell you to look at my how to guide on this which should give you ideas...

i tried AKS today and it looks like i won't be able to fix this right now as they reccomended a few other bits and pieces that i would also need as well as the bushings
short shifter,new bracket for the gearbox, cables of some sort as well as the bushings i intended to buy but the cost of £257 for it all and then the cost of getting it fitted is probably going to be nearly £500 i can't justify right now
i'll get the alignment checked and take it from there just a pity theres no way to rectify it cheaper

If you looked at my how to guide on this you would have found that the first item is the diesel geek gear shift shaft bushes..then the metal side to side plate (VW) & then the appropriate 42dd solid bushes to go with this...

cost is under £120 & you can DIY it easy...

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks Dave I'll check it out in more detail, its trying to find someone to do it is the problem i only have one hand so DIYing it is not usually an option so i have to figure in a fitting cost to anything i want to buy
am i right in thinking the metal side to side plate would be available to buy from the dealers ? but the diesel geek stuff will have to come from the USA ? and the 42DD bushings will come from AKS tuning.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
thanks Dave I'll check it out in more detail, its trying to find someone to do it is the problem i only have one hand so DIYing it is not usually an option so i have to figure in a fitting cost to anything i want to buy
am i right in thinking the metal side to side plate would be available to buy from the dealers ? but the diesel geek stuff will have to come from the USA ? and the 42DD bushings will come from AKS tuning.

I do mechanicing but a bit north of you ...just outside Inverness..

I got the metal side to side from the dealers...but please research which one you need as my one is for my MQ250 gearbox..which is different to your one...

The 42DD stuff get in uk from various people....dieselgeek I had to get from USA & I only got the gearstick shaft bushes..one very small jiffy bag.... beware you get hit import taxes of £12 buy royal mail...!!...just got a letter in door & had to collect the package from the PO & pay the import taxes...

Best to get the metal side to side first then order the correct kit of 42DD bushes as it will not be the MK7 kit...you just go by the pin diameters...

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
Dave what is the side to side bracket called as the dealer is probably going to go by the registration number which will list a plastic 1 ?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Dave what is the side to side bracket called as the dealer is probably going to go by the registration number which will list a plastic 1 ?

The dealer will just come up with the plastic ones....I had to look at loads of tech drawings for the 6 speed gearboxes to find part numbers to then put into google to look at images for sale...to then order the parts which was an older metal version...

Its the only way to find the correct part for your gearbox..

BTW its called a "relay lever"...