GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Would like to see how the Mabotech bicooler performs with either the stock cooler, or an R cooler. Or, if it's to be paired with either of the stock coolers, would it just be better to run it strictly as a FMIC (not as a bicooler)? I know, I know, stock location coolers generally perform better than an FMIC or bicooler, but I'm curious as to how much difference there is between the different setups. GTI (IS20) with R cooler and 5150 E40 tune here.

I took a look at their website and it says the bicooler is designed to be used with an upgraded stock location IC. Not sure if it needs to be an upgraded unit. With the right plumbing I don't see why you couldn't use it with a stock IC.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I took a look at their website and it says the bicooler is designed to be used with an upgraded stock location IC. Not sure if it needs to be an upgraded unit. With the right plumbing I don't see why you couldn't use it with a stock IC.

All of my logs are with the stock intercooler.

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
just ordered my apr intercooler. What can I use to make data logs? I want to provide a few before and afters. My only mod is apr dp. would vcds or obd11 be able to data log looking into one of these soon.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
just ordered my apr intercooler. What can I use to make data logs? I want to provide a few before and afters. My only mod is apr dp. would vcds or obd11 be able to data log looking into one of these soon.

VCDS and OBD11 can log.

athos56

Ready to race!
Would there be any benefit in making a frame with an upgraded fan that would replace the stock intercooler and stock fans when using a FMIC? The frame would retain the stock intercooler's structural function while the upgraded fan would provide more cooling to the radiator and engine??

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Would there be any benefit in making a frame with an upgraded fan that would replace the stock intercooler and stock fans when using a FMIC? The frame would retain the stock intercooler's structural function while the upgraded fan would provide more cooling to the radiator and engine??

I haven't had any issues with coolant temps, and have been running an FMIC for a longgg time now. I don't track the car though, so I can't speak to a road course experience.

athos56

Ready to race!
I haven't had any issues with coolant temps, and have been running an FMIC for a longgg time now. I don't track the car though, so I can't speak to a road course experience.

Yeah I hear you. I think it's just an aversion to having unused equipment in my car.

augiec

Passed Driver's Ed
This is probably a stupid question, but is there any benefit or drawback to stacking a FMIC to an upgraded stock location? I went through this thread last week and recalled seeing something about pressure loss or something, but I don't know enough to really explain it to a friend

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
This is probably a stupid question, but is there any benefit or drawback to stacking a FMIC to an upgraded stock location? I went through this thread last week and recalled seeing something about pressure loss or something, but I don't know enough to really explain it to a friend

You might get pressure drop, depending on the FMIC you use. I actually saw less pressure drop moving from the CTS FMIC to the Mabotech Bicooler stacked with stock IC.

It's completely unnecessary to stack an FMIC with an upgraded stock location IC, unless you are running some ridiculously big turbo and/or pushing a shit-ton of boost, well outside of the efficiency zone for the turbo. You'd just be adding weight, core volume, and another point of failure IMO.

Zx2man

Ready to race!
I was going to pull the trigger on the Mabotech, but I dont want to trim my grill. If it was a dedicated track car sure, but not a lease daily driver. Plus heard shipping is crazy.
So either gti jake fmic, or the Twintercooler. Literally havnt heard anything negative from owners of the product.