GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil around filler cap

airjor13

Ready to race!
Also showed them this thread and let them this is not an isolated issue as other local MK7 GTI have the same exact issue.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Also showed them this thread and let them this is not an isolated issue as other local MK7 GTI have the same exact issue.

Yeah when I went in for a recall a while back and showed them this issue they shrugged it off and said it was normal. Will be buying a new cap eventually to see if it fixes it though.

GaryKYLee

Passed Driver's Ed
This happened to me at around 22k
Changed the oil cap
same issue after roughly 1k
Guess I have to keep wiping it at this point

1stGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
My gti also does this. I just barely bought it 3 months ago and put 6k miles on it already. It started at 1k miles though. Still debating if I should pulled the npm out and take it in or just buy a new cap myself.

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
The same on mine. I've checked the seal (and spring) but found nothing wrong (besides the setup being over-engineered - no such issue on the old car where the cup just screws in with no play left). I 'd consider it mostly a cosmetic issue or maybe a feature (keeps surrounding area rust free;).

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Being that the oil cap is $13, I'd replace it myself than go to the dealer and wait around just for them to say its normal.

airjor13

Ready to race!
Yea cleaned a few times and still seeps through, oh well lol.

autovelocity

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 R
Went to dealer to show the same oil seeping problem around the cap.

They ordered a new one without question.
In my opinion this is a stupid design issue. Either the cap itself or the cam cover.

I hope this new cap/seal is redesigned to have lower tolerance under thermal expansion so oil cant escape.

Slick99

Ready to race!
Same on my A3, does this mean the cap design is at fault coz my car has done almost 10k km which is 6k mile.

autovelocity

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 R
I just got the new cap from the dealer and it's the exact same part number.

That said, I did notice the new cap sits much tighter and there is virtually no side play when trying to shift it with my hand from side to side while tightened to the valve cover.

I dont know if this is because it's a brand new cap and the rubber seal is harder or perhaps the rubber seal compound is different.

I will monitor the situation over the new few days and let you guys know.

autovelocity

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 R
Knock on wood.

So far I have not seen any more oil seepage! Been a few hundred kilometres..

Hooray for the new oil cap :)